Sales Agents.... (Any one looking to sell a film read!)

Guys,

I'm an indie producer. Our first film 'Left For Dead' has been siold in over 10 countries and is doing amazing business in the USA.

I've read so many questions about best way to sell and indie movie, tie ins with magazines, getting it released etc.

From my expereince (and that of many, many others) if you have a low-budget, Indie or no-budget film manage your expectations. Rarely will one of the majors or major sales/release companies look at your film unless it is truly amazing.

You could try selling it yourself but it's really not worth it. You cant chase the money, have no legal department, no contarcts and no idea who buys what in what town...

Best bet... get a SALES AGENT.

They have the contacts, abilities and skills.

Go to one of the markets (Cannes is best... Market NOT festival), take 60-100 copies of your film, hand them out (with a nice bit about the film and any good press quotes) to anyone that's selling films like you. If your film is a low-bduget digital horror then make sure your not wasting time with Pathe etc. Look whose doing that same as you are, and nab them.

Go and see films they are showing. See if you can get your face out there. We know so many people at cannes and have developed relationships from just watching films they are selling.

Then go home. No much will happen at Cannes. But you need to be chasing them up a week later.

Sales agents have the contacts, abilities and money to promote your film. Dont get me wrong you will loose but you'll gain far more.

25% will go to sales agent plus all expenses. Out of 100,00k profit you may loose upwards of 35-40k for your first year but the rest is money you would never have got! For years 2 and 3 they'll be almsot no expenses for the sales agent (some other new film will be covering them) so then it will go down to their cut.

On 'Left For Dead' this simple method has seen us recoup the cash spent and a little ontop and see our film actually released.

Good luck!

Phil Hobden
www.mod-life.com

We are with Worldwide Filmed Entertainment LLC, Barabra Mudge, who is on the board of the AFMA (or whatever it's called now).

They are superb (although not taking product at the moment form what I undersatnd) and very up front, honest and helpful.

Phil Hobden
-- Modern Life? --
'I said 2 Sugars, smuck!"

I'm curious where an indie movie makes it's money.
Approximately how have your profits been divided up by percentage?
- USA / Canada DVD sales
- USA / Canada TV & Pay per view sales
- Foreign buyouts by country
- Theatrical
- Internet download

Back