• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

FIREWIRE DV CAPTURE WITHOUT PICTURE QUALITY LOSS

I am a brand new member to the forum and do not work in the film industry. I work in Sales and Pro Audio. My question relates to how to capture video via older Firewire DV onto my MacBook Pro without a noticeable loss in picture quality.

I have a late 90's Sony DV CAM camera and player and want to transfer the raw footage onto my MacBook Pro and external hard drive. So far I have been using the required adapters to take Firewire 4 pin from Sony DVCAM player/Camera to Firewire 800 and to Thunderbolt into my Mac.

I have been using Quicktime to capture the video and while it looks pretty good when I am playing the video stream, once I play back the recorded video capture it doesn't look as good. It looks a little more grainy. I have quicktime set to the maximum resolution, but looking for advice on how I can capture without a noticeable loss in quality. It should be noted that the source footage was recorded in the UK in PAL. Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited:
Back