What is be BEST camera for Indie Filmmaking?

Been listening to podcasts of indie filmmakers about how they shoot and what cameras they use. Everyone seems to have a preference but I was curious to know from you guys. What is the BEST Camera to shoot for indie films? Best quality for an affordable price and absolute all-around best?

I'm an audio guy, not a visuals type, but the same questions apply to audio gear as well.

Your post is incredibly vague. What does "affordable" mean? It may mean under $1k to you but between $10k and $15k to someone else. My low/no/mini/micro budget production sound kit, which I recommend to those asking, will run about $1,500. It's all "prosumer"gear. A "beginner" professional production sound kit starts at about $10k, more than six (6) times the cost of a prosumer kit.

So try asking your question again. "I want a camera in the $________ range that has _____, ________ and _________. I plan on shooting __________. I have (no/a little/some/lots) of experience." You'll probably get responses that will have more applicability to your personal situation.

The best bang for your buck is renting a camera.. that will get the highest quality for the lowest price.

The best bang for your buck is renting a camera.. that will get the highest quality for the lowest price.

The best camera for indie filmmaking is the camera you have access to :-p

These two things.

As Bob pointed out, you’ve asked the classic, “How long is a piece of string?” You want top-notch image capture? ARRI Alexa is really nice, or the Canon C700. But you’re talking tens of thousands of dollars, unless you rent.

But are those the best cameras for your indie film? Do you know how to handle them? Or have a DIT who can?

Use the camera you have. Hell, an iPhone may be the best tool for the job at the time, due to budget or the need to stay low key and inconspicuous. I still shoot a fair amount of work on DSLR for the convenience of it, and when I’m dealing with low-budget or no-budget or pro-bono projects. The camera itself is just a tool, so use one that is accessible, fits your budget, and does what you need it to do.

I'm an audio guy, not a visuals type, but the same questions apply to audio gear as well.

Your post is incredibly vague. What does "affordable" mean? It may mean under $1k to you but between $10k and $15k to someone else. My low/no/mini/micro budget production sound kit, which I recommend to those asking, will run about $1,500. It's all "prosumer"gear. A "beginner" professional production sound kit starts at about $10k, more than six (6) times the cost of a prosumer kit.

So try asking your question again. "I want a camera in the $________ range that has _____, ________ and _________. I plan on shooting __________. I have (no/a little/some/lots) of experience." You'll probably get responses that will have more applicability to your personal situation.

I already have my own preference and camera I like to use so I don't need to re ask the question with those kind of specifics. I just wanted to know if there is a general consensus of "The best" Camera for the best performance and price tag. Just starting a discussion to see what everyone thinks.

Last edited:
J3ySPW0.jpg

...I still shoot a fair amount of work on DSLR for the convenience of it, and when I’m dealing with low-budget or no-budget or pro-bono projects. The camera itself is just a tool, so use one that is accessible, fits your budget, and does what you need it to do.

I have heard a lot of good things about the DSLR. Its kinda crazy and cool to hear about people's "go to" Camera. I am learning that there are different cameras for different kinds of film. So, it's all based on what you're looking to film and the look feel you're going for.

I just wanted to know if there is a general consensus of "The best" Camera for the best performance and price tag. Just starting a discussion to see what everyone thinks.
I don't think you'll get a general consensus of what is "The best" camera
because there isn't a "best" camera.

An interesting discussion would be what cameras do people use and
like...

Back