Tascam DR-70D vs Tascam DR-680 mk1 vs Tascam DR-680 mk2 vs Zoom F8

hmmm.... decisions decisions, a new Tascam DR-70D for only US$200 or 2ndhand Tascam DR-680 mk1 for US$320 or 2ndhand Tascam DR-680 mk2 for US$425 or a new Zoom F8 for US$1k??

(context: I'd be using it with several radio mics and a boom, and a Sound Devices 552 in front of it as a mixer, for low budget semi pro jobs, but with aspirations to move on up gradually as knowledge/budget allows)

Sweetie is correct. Some of the improved features of the F8 over the others won't make much difference with a 552 in front but some of them will. TC being a very good example, even if the production is not using TC!

Go for the F8, it's a no-brainer compared to the other units, considering you've got a 552. You'll need to spend some considerable time testing and learning the F8 and figuring out the best workflow. For example, I'd probably be looking at recording a mix on the 552 rather than the F8 and definitely bypassing the F8's limiters (which are useless/pointless).

G

That's a strange budget which allows for a high-end pro field mixer but only a consumer grade recorder. Not sure I want to ask what mics you'll be using. :)

Haha, you probably do not want to ask! ;) They're in a gradual process of being upgraded too :)

I got the 552 secondhand at a very good price. I never would have otherwise purchased one this year.

I'm still just a newbie semi pro soundie, so until my day rates increase and I get more regular paid sound work than just a few days per month, then I am inclined to think perhaps the DR-680 mk1 is the way to go for me getting next.

Sounds like my setup :lol:
dr-70d and a sound devices mm-1

audix scx-1 microphone

I wish I had an Audix SCX1-HC! That or a Audio-Technica AT4053b will be the next microphone I will get, but won't be any time soon (maybe end of the year).

Last edited:
I wish I had an Audix SCX1-HC! That or a Audio-Technica AT4053b will be the next microphone I will get, but won't be any time soon (maybe end of the year).

It's a shame to own a Ferrari but have to fit a Ford Fiesta engine in it!
It it were me, I would be looking to hire a decent recorder and mic, per gig, until your income makes it worthwhile owning something decent. If you buy a 680 and 4053b, it could well be that within a year you will have outgrown them and therefore what you've spent on them will be wasted. Your 552 on the other hand, will see you right the way through, well into the pro level and you might not ever out grow it. Hiring also gives you the opportunity to try out different things. If I were starting out and I already had a 552, I'd hire the rest of what I needed until I could afford at least an NTG-3 and an F8.

G

Back