Metabones worth it?

Any GH4 users out there use the Metabones speed booster? If so, which adapter do you use (or recommend)? I really like the EF to MFT because it allows the GH4 to talk to the lens electronics, but then again something like the FD to MFT allows for all sorts of affordable legacy lenses.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Have you used both, Iron? How do they compare? I have neither, but have heard Metabones is worth it once you adjust to using it and gauging your light (from a BMPCC user, those seem quite difficult to meter in the first place, so maybe he was just in a tougher spot, I dunno, I'm not a user, but am interested for potential future knowledge)

I own the RJ Lens Turbo (Nikon F to m4/3), and been an AC on a music video shoot with Metabones (EF to m4/3).

I've read way more than enough about both to see if there are any optical differences between them at all of note, it isn't worth the extra hundreds of dollars.

And I've heard of more than enough issues of the EF Mount not communicating right, to instead prefer the mechanical operations of the Nikon F mount. Plus of course, Nikon F mount is simply a better mount to invest in for my lenses for the future.

Ahh, bad internet connection and I commented twice by mistake.
What lenses would you be looking to attach to the camera? Cinema, L-Series Canon?
The Voigtländer micro 4/3 lens series is AMAZING if you haven't tried those on your GH4.

Last edited:
HyperSpaceShow said:
What lenses would you be looking to attach to the camera?
Though I don't own these, I have been given pretty much unlimited access to the following:

Canon EF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6

IronFilm said:
I've heard of more than enough issues of the EF Mount not communicating right
Good to know!

As I've done more research, I am leaning heavily towards vintage glass like the Helios 44-2. Seems very affordable with great results. To round that out, I'm thinking of getting a lens in the 28-35mm range, and an 85mm and go with something like an RJ Lens Turbo.

Besides I can no longer afford a Metabones at the moment...I made kind of an impulse buy on an anamorphic adapter. Today I ordered a Century Optics 16:9 Adapter for exactly half of what it's going for here.

Putting the cart before the horse, I know, since it will be a while before I'm practiced enough to use it wisely. But my ultimate goal has been and always will be to shoot in anamorphic. But brand-new at half the going price, I could not resist jumping on it. I consider it an investment in the future and motivation to get really good at using the GH4. If it turns out I can't get it to play nicely with my GH4, I can easily re-sell it to recover the cost. We'll see...it should arrive by Wednesday and I can determine what kind of adaptation is required. </crosses fingers>

Anyway, thanks everyone for the input and sorry for taking the thread off-topic...but if you have recommendations for affordable fast vintage 28mm, 35mm, and 85mm lenses I would love to hear them!

Cheers,
|. . | .|

Back