8 Mistakes Filmmakers Make That Kill Their Careers

Funny, I saw that earlier and on #4 immediately though "but we've got indietalk!".

Not too sure about some of the others though. I mean, is quitting your day job too early really a big career killer for indie filmmakers? The others seem like decent, if somewhat obvious, advice - but it seems like there's a lot more to building (and potentially killing) a successful career than the general points made in the article.

Not too sure about some of the others though. I mean, is quitting your day job too early really a big career killer for indie filmmakers? The others seem like decent, if somewhat obvious, advice - but it seems like there's a lot more to building (and potentially killing) a successful career than the general points made in the article.

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a career killer, that's for sure. But it very well may be a money killer, in the short term anyway.

Articles like this rub me the wrong way...

First of all, you have to have a career before you can kill it, whether it be a hobby, or (like most of us) a money-making venture. Therefore:

The ultimate #1 career *builder* comes way before this list (and IMHO, the hardest task of all):
Produce a well-executed film story that lots of people enjoy watching.

Back