• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Collaborative filmmaking across the U.S. and a documentary about indie filmmaking

Hey everyone,

I wanted to come and tell you guys about a project I'm involved with, The Great 48. It's a big project, and it's kinda crazy. But it's completely awesome, and full of filmmaking goodness.

The project will result in 14 short films, a feature documentary about the indie film process, and a social experiment. Here is a link to the kickstarter, where you can find more info about the project! http://tinyurl.com/thegreat48

This project is all about creating, collaborating, and connecting all of us independent filmmakers. I'd be happy to answer any questions and if you live in the U.S. it would be awesome to get you involved! Would love it if you could back the project or share it, everything helps!

Sounds like a reality tv show.
Best of luck in raising nearly 67k in under a month.

Good luck - sounds like fun, my team has tossed around the idea of doing a similar 48 HFP roadtrip a few times. I've backed it, and I really hope you hit your goal, but based on my own crowdfunding experience I personally wouldn't shoot for that high an amount in that short a time period unless you already have a significant fan base demanding whatever it is you're producing.

sfoster - not so much a reality show. yes, the team will be a character in the documentary, but it's not about US, its about independent filmmaking. Thanks!

ChimpPhobiaFilms - Great! Thanks :) what is everyone's twitter? would love to connect and get a hold of you if we're near!

ItDonnedOnMe - Thank you for the pledge! I definitely know this will be a challenge to raise that kind of a budget, but I feel like this is a great project. It's incredibly collaborative, and as far as I know, there isn't really a documentary about indie filmmaking. I'm hopeful :P

sfoster - not so much a reality show. yes, the team will be a character in the documentary, but it's not about US, its about independent filmmaking. Thanks!

If I understood correctly there were a number of teams, some sort of competition and a winner. Like the apprentice, but with films instead of traditional small businesses.

If I understood correctly there were a number of teams, some sort of competition and a winner. Like the apprentice, but with films instead of traditional small businesses.

In a way. That's the 48 Hour Film Project aspect. More can be found about how that works at 48hourfilm.com. The Great 48 is using the 48 HFP as a platform to bring indie filmmakers together to create films. Capturing the essence of independent filmmaking in it's fastest form, and leading to a documentary about the process of indie filmmaking itself. So while the 48HFP is part of the project as an entirety, it will not be the focus of the actual documentary.

So... I know the campaign's not actually over yet, but clearly it's over. I'm curious what this means for the project - is it just not going to happen, will you attempt it in a limited/different form, or?

Back