The Golden Rectangle

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
In mathematics and the arts, two quantities are in the golden ratio if the ratio of the sum of the quantities to the larger quantity is equal to the ratio of the larger quantity to the smaller one.

Many 20th century artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio--believing this proportion to be considered "the most aesthetically pleasing" aspect ratio in the world.

So why isn't film presented in this format?

The golden rectangle has an aspect ratio of 1.61803398875 so I decided to make a 1920x1080 film matte equivalent to it. After doing some calculations, the exact resolution turns out to be (in meters) 19111x11811 pixels (1.61806:1) which adjusts to 1748x1080 pixels. In GIMP, I created a 1920x1080 film matte that has a transparency at 1748x1080.

I'm now giving this matte away for free on my website http://www.LoudOrangeCat.com if you'd like to try it. Let me know if you use it in your project, I'd love to see it.

The 'Golden mean' is generally used in the framing of shots, very much related to the 'rule of thirds'.

Widescreen has many different aspects, one of the most common being anamorphic. The reason anamorphic has the aspect ratio that it does is simply due to the process used by the lenses and the film stock/sensor.

1.66:1 is one of the more common aspect ratios, and is not far off your ~1.62:1 'golden mean' aspect.

I think CF and I were talking about this a couple of years ago. If i remember correctly, we wanted to apply it to pacing, length of shots, sound timing etc. We were throwing different ideas around. I'm going to see if I can find that thread. Or CF can spare me the trouble if he remembers the title...?

Back