Harvey Weinstein fired from The Weinstein Co.

The idea that we are nothing but our instincts* is a sad excuse to not behave.
*) Yet I had to respond :-p

Observing that 'this is the world we live in' should not be an excuse to not improve as humans and as humanity. Genocides also happen. Should we just observe and conclude that it is the world we live in without passing judgement? Imagine a movie where the main character is totally passive, because it is just the way his/her world is? How dull would that be?
It is the world we live in, because we and the people before us created that world. This means we can create a better future. Even when others try to move it back to the stone age.

Something I recently read:
"When talking about time travel people are afraid that a little change in history can have a great effect on the present. At the same time people think that the little things they can do don't matter for the future."
We can change things, but it takes time.
And it takes vision. It is harder to work towards a better future than to long back to 'good old days' when things seemed simpler, because the world seemed smaller. It is harder than keeping things the way they are. And it is harder than just only caring about yourself and your family.
Just sometimes things 'explode' and change gets such a momentum that people in power are removed. In some way what happens now is a social revolution.

Harvey allegedly told aspiring actresses that he received sexual favors from Renee Zellweger, Gwyneth Paltrow and Charlize Theron in exchange for their career advancement.

Whether this is true or not, saying this to 'a next target' is actually normalising sexual misconduct and a misguided 'self excuse' in the delusion that what he wants isn't bad. It is saying 'this is just the way it works', while that is not the truth. It is just the way he wanted it to work.
He did not drug them, but he still cornered his victims.
In this quote I don't see 'the way the world works' explained to me, but verbal coercion (spelling??? lol). (I love subtext, btw, all the things that can be between the lines. Maybe it is just in my head.)

Holy cow!
Comparing the battle against extreme prejudice toward black people, and the leader of the Nazi party who was responsible for the near genocide of Jewish people to an ugly man using his power to persuade beautiful women, who would do anything to be in a movie, to have sexual relations with him.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Holy cow!
Comparing the battle against extreme prejudice toward black people, and the leader of the Nazi party who was responsible for the near genocide of Jewish people to an ugly man using his power to persuade beautiful women, who would do anything to be in a movie, to have sexual relations with him.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples.

No, but it proves we have the power to change society.
So there is no reason to just observe it as an unchangable status quo.

Last edited:
.................. an ugly man using his power to persuade beautiful women, who would do anything to be in a movie, to have sexual relations with him.

For not passing judgement this contains at least strong identifications (as a yogi would call it): 'ugly', 'beautiful', 'who would do anything'.
;)

This is about a man who believed his position gave him the right to coerce women to sexually please him and when they wouldn't, he would socially strike them down with his (gossip) wrath.
Which is the same mechanism of imagined superiority that enabled/enables racism, misogyny, wars and genocide.

Different apples, but they seem to share some roots :P

Those women were denied to choose 'no' without negative consequences.

I suppose it's only natural for there to be some confusion...
You get people like louis ck thrown into the same category as Harvey and it's really not at all the same thing.

I'll try to explain it better..

In the documentary "Overnight" about the writer of Boondock Saints, harvey takes the film maker under his wing. When things go sour all it takes is one word from harvey and the guy was blacklisted across all of hollywood. Not a single studio or producer would work with him.

That's the kind of guy harvey is. Powerful and someone that you don't want to cross.
And that's the power that he weilded over these womens head, he would threaten them that they would "ruin their friendship with him" and if you know anything about fim writing and subtext you can infer what that really means in this context.'

If read my post linked above I highlight some excepts from the article about specific women that have lost jobs or had their reputation smeared by not complying.

Wow!!! This struggle for hayek to get her movie made is a must read for indie film makers.
The challenging uphill battles and resistance she faced after rejecting harvey! it's really amazing she managed to succeed and get her film made.

1505543406587.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/harvey-weinstein-is-my-monster-too/ar-BBGHX2j

Regarding Harvey... sadly this is the kind of attitude it takes to acquire scary amounts of power in the world

"The absurdity of his demands went from getting a furious call in the middle of the night asking me to fire my agent for a fight he was having with him about a different movie with a different client..."

Yup that is definitely someone you don't want to piss off.

Last edited:
um, the story's about Salma Hayek, not CZ Jones :)

:lol:

damn I cant find a picture of those two together.. I edited and went with one from the movie

So Harvey did get her to do a sex scene in the end. Totally understandable for her part.

I'm racking up the nonsense mistakes in this thread :lol:
That's okay I can laugh at myself at least Salma's story was captivating.

So this is interesting news.. Morgan Spurlock has fallen on his own sword.
Apparently this dude has been stressed out about when he'll be accused so he has proactively volunteered his indiscretions. He's been accused of rape in college and used to verbally harass his assistant.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...days-‘she-believed-she-was-raped’/ar-BBGIipu?

And charlie sheen sued the national inquirer over that rape story
https://www.thewrap.com/charlie-sheen-sues-the-national-enquirer-over-corey-haim-rape-story-report/

Last edited:
Salma will always be tops in my book after putting up with all that relentless abuse from Harvey. I don't see how she could ever forgive him. As Norm Macdonald would say, "he sounds like a real Jerk!"
It's really great how people supported her to get her movie made.

Harvey is doing damage control still

Mr. Weinstein regards Salma Hayek as a first-class actress and cast her in several of his movies, among them "Once Upon a Time in Mexico," "Dogma," and "Studio 54." He was very proud of her Best Actress Academy Award nomination for "Frida" and continues to support her work.
While Jennifer Lopez was interested in playing Frida and at the time was a bigger star, Mr. Weinstein overruled other investors to back Salma as the lead. Miramax put up half of the money and all of the P&A; the budget was over 12 million. As in most collaborative projects, there was creative friction on "Frida," but it served to drive the project to perfection. The movie opened in multiple theaters and was supported by a huge advertising campaign and an enormous Academy Awards budget.
Mr. Weinstein does not recall pressuring Salma to do a gratuitous sex scene with a female costar and he was not there for the filming. However, that was part of the story, as Frida Kahlo was bisexual and the more significant sex scene in the movie was choreographed by Ms. Hayek with Geoffrey Rush. The original uni-brow used was an issue because it diverted attention from the performances. All of the sexual allegations as portrayed by Salma are not accurate and others who witnessed the events have a different account of what transpired.
Ed Norton, who was Ms. Hayek's boyfriend at the time, [worked with Mr. Weinstein on the rewrite of the script in Mexico] did a brilliant job of rewriting the script and Mr. Weinstein battled the WGA to get him a credit on the film. His effort was unsuccessful to everyone's disappointment.
By Mr. Weinstein's own admission, his boorish behavior following a screening of "Frida" was prompted by his disappointment in the cut of the movie-and a reason he took a firm hand in the final edit, alongside the very skilled director Julie Taymor.

So this is interesting news.. Morgan Spurlock has fallen on his own sword.
Apparently this dude has been stressed out about when he'll be accused so he has proactively volunteered his indiscretions. He's been accused of rape in college and used to verbally harass his assistant.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...days-‘she-believed-she-was-raped’/ar-BBGIipu?

Morgan Spurlock lost his job.

""On behalf of Warrior Poets, we as partners have always supported our company and its endeavors. As of today, Morgan Spurlock will be stepping down effective immediately," said Warrior Poets co-founder Jeremy Chilnick and partner Matthew Galkin in a joint statement.

That didn't take long at all. Things move quickly in this climate right??? Damn.
People are out for blood, no one is talking about morgan spurlock and he decides to tarnish his own reputation

How crazy!!
Well hopefully he feels like a weight as been lifted off his shoulders because he definitely fell on a sword.

Morgan spurlock was an executive producer for the documentary that I starred in.
He's in the first few minutes of the doc too but I never met him.

Does he not realize his tweet was tantamount to "I raped a girl in college"

WHO TWEETS THAT??

"Sources say everyone in Spurlock's orbit - including filmmakers and networks he is in business with - was blindsided by the post and began scrambling to distance themselves."

YEEEEAH that's one way to put it.

"Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken!, which marks a follow up to Spurlock's Oscar-nominated Super Size Me, sold to YouTube Red at the Toronto Film Festival in September for $3.5 million. "

"YouTube Red, which was to distribute the film, also had a change of heart. YouTube said Friday it would not release the film, according to the Hollywood Reporter."

Yup sell a movie for 3.5 million and then make it so no one wants anything to do with it.
Talk about screwing over the people who bet on you.

"Who Rules the World, an unscripted series focusing on women’s issues according to Variety, has halted production at TNT"

“In light of Morgan’s recent revelations, we agreed to end his association with ‘The Devil We Know,'” producer Kristin Lazure said in a statement. She said she hoped to keep the focus on the film, which explores the effects of toxic chemical pollution

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-harassment-confidentiality/story?id=51792548

Matt Damon said

I think we’re in this watershed moment. I think it’s great. I think it’s wonderful that women are feeling empowered to tell their stories, and it’s totally necessary … I do believe that there’s a spectrum of behavior, right? And we’re going to have to figure — you know, there’s a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right? Both of those behaviors need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn’t be conflated, right? You know, we see somebody like Al Franken, right? — I personally would have preferred if they had an Ethics Committee investigation, you know what I mean? It’s like at what point — you know, we’re so energized to kind of get retribution, I think.
And we live in this culture of outrage and injury, and, you know, that we’re going to have to correct enough to kind of go, “Wait a minute. None of us came here perfect.” You know what I mean? … The Louis C.K. thing, I don’t know all the details. I don’t do deep dives on this, but I did see his statement, which kind of, which [was] arresting to me. When he came out and said, “I did this. I did these things. These women are all telling the truth.” And I just remember thinking, “Well, that’s the sign of somebody who — well, we can work with that” … Like, when I’m raising my kids, this constant personal responsibility is as important as anything else they learn before they go off in the world.
And the fear for me is that right now, we’re in this moment where at the moment — and I hope it doesn’t stay this way — the clearer signal to men and to younger people is, deny it. Because if you take responsibility for what you did, your life’s going to get ruined …
I mean, look, as I said, all of that behavior needs to be confronted, but there is a continuum. And on this end of the continuum where you have rape and child molestation or whatever, you know, that’s prison. Right? And that’s what needs to happen. OK? And then we can talk about rehabilitation and everything else. That’s criminal behavior, and it needs to be dealt with that way. The other stuff is just kind of shameful and gross, and I just think … I don’t know Louis C.K.. I’ve never met him. I’m a fan of his, but I don’t imagine he’s going to do those things again. You know what I mean? I imagine the price that he’s paid at this point is so beyond anything that he — I just think that we have to kind of start delineating between what these behaviors are.

And the backlash keeps growing for him.
Now there is a petition to remove him from oceans 8.

I do think that there's a huge difference between what Harvey was doing and what these other violators have done. And in that sense I understand where matt is coming from.

And damn matt hit the nail on the head with this one, morgan spurlock should have listened to him

"And the fear for me is that right now, we’re in this moment where at the moment — and I hope it doesn’t stay this way — the clearer signal to men and to younger people is, deny it. Because if you take responsibility for what you did, your life’s going to get ruined … "

People aren't interested in integrity or personal growth from mistakes. People aren't forgiving, do not show any weakness.
Lie your way to the top and deny deny deny.

Last edited:
Back