• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Deinterlacing: how do I do that again?

I've been working with 24p HD footage for so long I forgot how to deinterlace!

Help, how do I deinteralce HD footage and retain the best quality? Using CS5.5

Thanks

Interpet the footage in the project bin (right click) and somewhere in there is the option on how to interpret fields. Try upper field first, if that doesn't look right try lower.

I shot some stuff on VHS recently as part of my feature film and did the old overlay trick. Import two copies of your footage into AfterEffects, set one to Upper Fields, the second one to Lower Fields. Place one over the other at 50% opacity. In this way you aren't losing half of your resolution.

Perhaps not as sharp as interpolation plugins, but a decent native trick.

Are you sure it loses resolution that way? I haven't had to do it in forever either, but I thought it was essentially merging the two halves of fields together where as cheaper filters blended either upper or lower fields?

I shot some stuff on VHS recently as part of my feature film and did the old overlay trick. Import two copies of your footage into AfterEffects, set one to Upper Fields, the second one to Lower Fields. Place one over the other at 50% opacity. In this way you aren't losing half of your resolution.

Perhaps not as sharp as interpolation plugins, but a decent native trick.

Wow... That's a really good trick I've never heard of. I kinda wish I knew that back before I could shoot progressive

Wow... That's a really good trick I've never heard of. I kinda wish I knew that back before I could shoot progressive

I'd often use it over interpolation plugins as it's faster and the difference was often negligible. (Field interpolation may look sharper in some instances.)

I guess technically you're only losing at most 25% resolution (vs. 50% if you used a basic line-doubling deinterlace) and you don't have as objectionable of an aliasing/stair-stepping appearance.

Back