• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Redcine Audio Distortion

I'm using Red footage for the first time and learning about Redcine-X Pro. All has been going well until I tried to sync the audio in the program. I followed Red's tutorial and everything appears like it worked well (it went out and found the correct audio files for the scenes), but when playing the clip, the audio is heavily distorted and screeching. It almost sounds like it's playing the sound 10x louder than it should, so it just becomes a distorted mess of screeching and rumbles. The wav files, when opened in a different program, sound great.

Any tips, help or information on why or how Redcine is screwing with audio?

Thanks so much!

Sounds like a sample rate, bitdepth or similar problem. Perhpas the software\hardware your using for playback is not setup correctly.

Alternatively, I know that with the Cineform software if you didn't have an AC3 codex installed you'd get strangeness..

It's very unlikely to be a bit depth problem as -1dBFS (for example) should be the same output energy at any bit depth. What increases with bit depth is the dynamic range, at the quietest end of the scale, the noise floor is extended. Sample rate problems usually manifest with clicks, pops and/or crackles, not screeching. So it doesn't sound like a sample rate problem either. The screeching you describe sounds like extreme overload distortion but why you should be getting this on import when the original wavs sound OK I have no idea.

Try converting a wav file or two into aiff format, import the aiff and see if it still causes the same problem. Although wav files are standard format for TV/Film applications so your software really shouldn't have a problem with wavs, worth trying though just to eliminate this as a possible cause. I would also check that your software is not trying to normalise, compress or convert the audio on import. Again, this is unlikely and even if it is happening, it shouldn't cause the problem you describe but is worth checking.

G

Back