• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to not let the narration ruin the short?

I figured out my story and unfortunately there won't be any dialogue. It will have to be done with a narration. A lot of videos with narrations have ruined it for me. I don't want to fall into the same thing. I just want to know tips on how to let it not be the death of my short. The main character will be writing and reading a lot of letters. Possibly a way to turn it into a dialogue?

Not all stories can be/should be made into movies.
If your story has a plot centered around what is written in the letters, do you think its movie worthy? Would YOU be interested if you saw it on youtube?

Make it exciting. Is it more important to show WHATS written in the letters, or rather how it affects your main character? If its more about the main character's reaction to the letter - its might be a movie worthy. If it has long text of "Dear John, today was blah blah blah" - i would turn that movie off.

How to make it more interesting? Show why your main character cares about these letters, not WHATS written in them. Because frankly - nobody would give a sh*t..

just my 2 cents. :)

Although it is a film with lots of dialog, "Forrest Gump" is narrated by Forrest to various people as he sits on the park bench waiting for the bus to see Jenny. It may be worth a watch and then once again with the commentary; it may give you a few approach ideas.

This gourmet and its members give out such great advice. You guys are beyond patient! I just want to say thank you! I feel like I am improving everytime I go on here. Keep it up guys!

I figured out my story and unfortunately there won't be any dialogue.

Does your film actually need dialogue? :hmm:

Go watch the first 15 minutes of There Will Be Blood.

Watch the first god-knows-how-long of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Watch pretty much anything pre-1930

Movies are a visual medium. Will your film be able to stand on its own legs, if there is no narration?

Back