Newbie in Film/video

Hi everyone,

I have always been interested in video but I got into web stuff outta college when it all began and never took any initative in film until now.

I started vlogging after seeing some of Casey Neistat's videos, a quick and easy way to start making videos, and I really enjoy it. My vlog is here: http://www.youtube.com/jbuckenmeyer

I want to start on my first short film but I am totally incapable of writing a script or story. I've read a couple books and articles on it but I am totally stuck. Is there a place I can find scripts already developed I could use?

Thanks for the input!
Javi

Walter,

I mean I don't know how to write a script or story. I like the visual part but I need help with the story part.

Cheers

I want to start on my first short film but I am totally incapable of writing a script or story.

I do not believe this to be true, not in the slightest. I used to feel the same way as you do right now. I searched and searched and searched and searched and searched for free screenplays that I could produce.

NONE of them were either anything that I would want to produce or was capable of producing, financially. In my experience, amateur screenwriters (who aren't also producers) don't really get the logistics of filming a movie on a tiny budget. The tiny-budget filmmaker kinda has to write their own scripts, cuz only you understand what resources you have available to you and how you can use them to tell a story.

Screenwriting is a skill and an art. It takes practice. You may feel like you're incapable right now, but that's just cuz you haven't really done it yet. You can learn.

You should see the first films of Hollywood's biggest directors. They're really bad. And that's okay. There was once a time when Michael Jordan was not good at playing basketball. There was once a time when Beyoncé didn't know how to sing. There was once a time when John Williams knew nothing about music.

Allow yourself to be a rookie. Don't be scared to make mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the better you'll become. You can be a screenwriter, of this I am certain.

Last edited:
While I was learning I used One Act plays as my scripts. I, too,
felt I was not good as a writer but wanted to learn to make
films as a director. Rather than struggle with bad scripts I used
good ones. I see no reason for a beginning director who is not
comfortable writing to not look for writers. Just as I often recommend
a director team up with a DP rather than buy a camera.

While I was learning I used One Act plays as my scripts. I, too,
felt I was not good as a writer but wanted to learn to make
films as a director. Rather than struggle with bad scripts I used
good ones. I see no reason for a beginning director who is not
comfortable writing to not look for writers. Just as I often recommend
a director team up with a DP rather than buy a camera.

Yes, I support that. It's a confusing world for a budding filmmaker, and we all need to find our own way. I definitely do not think that my way of doing things is how everyone should try to function, but maybe it will work for some.

My post wasn't directed at you, CF - great advice as usual.

jbarranz asked for advice on where to find scripts and everyone told
him how to write. I felt the need to offer suggestions on where to
find scripts. Not every director is a writer. Some don't even want to
write. And there are many finished scripts out there needing a
director...

My post wasn't directed at you, CF - great advice as usual.

jbarranz asked for advice on where to find scripts and everyone told
him how to write. I felt the need to offer suggestions on where to
find scripts. Not every director is a writer. Some don't even want to
write. And there are many finished scripts out there needing a
director...

Agreed. There are TONS of scripts out there, definitely.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

WalterB - I just mean that I feel capable of going to work on the filming part, although I'm just beginning. I didn't have any particular style in mind.

Directorik - Thanks, I will look into these resources.

Frank - I put your number in but I'm not getting you on whatsapp.

IronFilm - I'll check it out!

CrackerFunk - Ok :>

Basically I don't have any starting point. No character who wants something. No life experience to draw from that gives me ideas. etc. And I couldn't think up a conversation between two people for the life of me. Lol

Back