• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

is there a low-budget software option?

I'm in a huge bind trying to finance my first short. Between getting all my gear, setting up special things to adjust for the fact that I'm in a wheelchair, and funding the actual project, it's just not looking like I will have the 300 dollars to put down for Final Cut Pro (which after the research I've done, is the software I'm most interested in). I realize that they offer a free trial, but this project isn't going to be finished in 30 days. I was wondering if there is anywhere to get a discounted price on maybe an older version of FCP, or maybe an all together different software that is cheaper, that will at least have enough features for me to produce something of decent quality. Does anyone know what I can do so I don't have to resort to editing my project in iMovie?

Whoah there, cowboy. I don't like this line of reasoning. Just do the best you can with your camera, during production! You should rarely ever plan to fix anything in post.

by all means, I will be doing the best job I can with my camera. I definitely don't plan to rely on post completely, but i do realize my camera is slightly lacking compared to whats out there. I was just saying that I already have limitations camera-wise, so it'd be nice to have something solid to edit with, so I'm not fighting as many battles every step of the way.

but I don't wanna have to download a new program every time I wanna do a different function.
When one doesn’t have the money, one needs to compromise.

You had $200 and thought you couldn’t afford another $100 so
people offered you plenty of ways to save your money - all involving
compromise. Well, you found the $100 and got the program you
wanted. No compromise needed.

Just don't easily dismiss compromise - like downloading a new
program that is free in order to save money.

Anyway, I'm glad you somehow found the $100 you said you couldn't
find and got FCP.

I want to clarify, one more time, I'm extremely grateful for all the advice. through scrupulous budgeting and searching, I found some cheap alternatives in different areas, which afforded me the extra money towards software. I did look into each and every suggestion, weighed the choices, and FOR ME, FCP just felt best. I definitely don't expect everyone to have the same opinion. I certainly believe in doing anything you can 'on the cheap' when possible. At the same time, I believe in getting the tools that work for you, regardless of popular opinion.

In summation, THANK YOU ALL. I have a great amount of respect for anyone willing to give a newcomer a hand up.

Last edited:
Back