What acting skills or qualities do YOU look for?

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times before, but like the title says; what acting qualities or skills do you look for when casting a film?

"We look for actors who have done some live theatre work"

I am VERY hesitant to hire stage actors unless they have significant film experience as well. The two are so completely different.
I did not work so much with theatre actors, but noticed that too. We made two films with an actor, who was in a local theatre group (not professional, just for fun). Both movies were parodies, therfore his overacting was not such a big problem. The first role was a drunk (later hung over) guy, so his acting based on personal experience ;)
The other character was actually written for him considering his "style of acting".

Both worked out good, especially because he was able to learn lines and used to being directed. But as I also played in two theatre plays in school, I know that there is a huge difference to filming.

But back to topic: As filmmaking is only a hobby, I can not really pay actors. I just try to get whoever is interested and fits a character in the script. The main problem is getting people, who are motivated to take big roles and who have enough time. Most people I know work full time or are very busy studying, so this makes my head ache every time I write a new story.

This is the biggie right here. If they can't pass this test, they'll f up your production. Imagine if you have 3 or 4 of these kind of people in your cast.

One of the reasons I schedule a specific time at auditions. If I am running them from 12:00 to 5:00 I ask them to pick a specific time (15 minutes apart) for their audition. Gives them a chance to show they can get there on time.

Lloyd Kaufman always says (and I somewhat agree, but not totally) that you should hold auditions in the middle of a mosquito infested swamp and tell them to be there 4 hours before you're actually going to audition them. If they can't handle being uncomfortable and being forced to sit and wait for hours now, what are they going to do on set in those circumstances.

In an audition there are a few things I look for.

1. Be on time.

2. Come prepared. Especially if you've been given the sides in advance, I'm not saying you need to be off book, but at least have read it.

3. MAKE CHOICES. They don't have to be the right choices, but it's important to show that you can make them.

* Are they good? Do they 'get it?' Meaning, do they get what acting is about and how to portray a character realistically? Those are the first questions. If the actor can't read a simple line and have you believe it, look elsewhere. Also, you want to look for the 'it factor', which is that thing that you can't put your finger on, but it makes you not want to take your eyes off someone while they are on screen.

* Do they look the part, or can we make them look the part?

* Along the same lines as the previous one, how much of a stretch is the character from the actual individual--especially important when casting a leading man, as opposed to a character actor. Character actors are malleable, that's their job...leading roles in my opinion work best when the actor himself is close to the role in question.

* Does their resume show training and activity? Are they waiting for roles to fall into their lap, or are they going out and making it happen. Active actors tend to be much more well-rounded and prepared in the end.

* Are they cool? Can you see yourself hanging out with them? Having a good time on set? That's SUPER important, believe it or not.

There are a bunch more, but those come right to mind. Just do me a favor, and don't cast your friend just because you don't want to go through auditions...it will only hurt your film (unless of course your friend is awesome, and you know this for fact).

GOod luck.

Last edited:
The ability to take direction, which on a practical basis we define as the ability to do the audition scene differently. Even if the actor knocked our socks off with their approach, we give them direction on a different way to approach it, and see if they can make the adjustment.

Of course, if they aren't on time & prepared, we don't even GET to that point...

Back