Pyrotechnic planning

Hey guys,

I'm planning a short film shoot at the moment and naturally - as with all amateur film ideas - there's explosions involved! I am, however, legally (and morally!) obliged to do this properly; at the very least I'll look into logistics and costs for the future.

So the whole purpose of this post is to gain some knowledge about the law, responsibilities and logistics surrounding pyrotechnics in the UK so I can approach SFX companies with at least some knowledge of what's involved (instead of seeming absolutely clueless which I am at the moment!).

• I'm aware I need insurance that covers pyro (hard to find...); any recommendations? I've heard Torribles is a reputable company.

• Do I need any special permits from the council or local authority?

• I'm assuming there needs to be a fire engine present, or the local fire brigade needs to be aware. How do I organise this, and is anyone aware of the cost of this?

• Do paramedics need to be present? I know a local (student) St John's Ambulance unit that would be willing to get involved, would this be sufficient?

If I've gotten anything wrong, feel free to correct me!

Thanks for reading

It's probably best to contact the British Film Commission; they will have all of the information about what will be required for a shoot involving pyrotechnics. The majority of us here at IndieTalk live in the USA where different federal laws apply, not to mention having to comply with state, county and local ordinances. (It can be fun - read a pain in the ass - when you move from town to town or state to state that have totally different requirements from each other.) There are a few UK and European members who may have some insights, but you should go to a reputable source (British Film Commission) to find out what you need; UK members can fill you in on the better vendors, complying with safety regulations, etc.

Back