Mike Wilde's Opinion Of Indie Films--Amaateur

It was neither arrogant nor nasty, although it was a bit harsh and over generalised in places. Some of your responses on the other hand have been rather arrogant.

Arrogant is the best way to respond to "Harsh" people in my experience. He is ignorant as well. He does not know what it is like to start a business without resources and money. He needed to be enlightened, as I enlightened him with my response. If he was just "Harsh," I doubt his post would have been deleted. I was not the only member to put him in his place.

Indie filmmaking used to have a specific meaning, as Mike W explained. Today though that meaning has been subverted because just like you, many amateurs "like to think" of themselves as indie filmmakers rather than as amateurs. Just as with "professionals", the term "amateur" covers a wide range filmmakers, from complete noobs through to very experienced amateurs capable of near professional results in some areas. I aspire to be and would one day like to think of myself as a world class professional sound designer/re-recording mixer. However, for the time being at least, the reality is that I'm not world class, I'm just a decent experienced professional. The difference is that I don't currently think of myself as world class and I don't call or advertise myself as world class simply because that's what I want to be! Regardless of what you want to think of yourself, at this point in time you are not an indie film maker, you are in practice an amateur video maker. Bizarrely, you appear to feel deeply insulted because Mike W has in effect pointed out the reality of your current position/situation. Dreams and aspirations are a vital ingredient in being/becoming a filmmaker but so is a healthy dose of objectivity!

As, I pointed out, he did give us an idea of where we stand in the film making universe. So, that had its' merit.

Amateurs are uneducated and ignorant! Even those who have achieved a degree in filmmaking are only partially educated, are still ignorant in some/many filmmaking areas and are still amateurs. Heck, I've been a professional in the industry for 20 years and I'm still ignorant/uneducated in most areas, even some of the audio areas! I'm relatively ignorant of production sound for example. Just knowing the basic definitions/roles of all the professional film jobs/positions is not enough, one has to have a deeper understanding than that AND, one has to know how to employ professionals fulfilling those positions, how to facilitate them and how to direct them. This is not something amateurs can learn on their own, the most they can learn on their own is how to employ, facilitate and direct other amateurs! Therefore, if/when an opportunity does arise to use a professional, amateur filmmakers generally have little/no experience of how to facilitate or direct them, which means their work is invariably compromised, often quite severely.

Furthermore, due to severe budgetary constraints, amateur filmmakers have to cut a lot of corners and achieve more with fewer people (fewer amateur people!). But, having little/no experience of commercial workflows or why they exist and limited or no understanding of many of the film roles beyond the basics almost invariably results in amateur filmmakers cutting corners in inappropriate areas. In other words, favouring certain filmmaking areas over others based on little more than personal pleasure/interest rather than on the demands/requirements of the market. This too is a definition of "amateur" and while it virtually always results in commercially unmarketable videos/films, in certain circumstances the cutting of inappropriate corners and amateurs posing as professionals can create physically dangerous or even lethal situations!

Your quote is disingenuous at a number of levels not least because you appear to have deliberately misrepresented what Mike W said! 1. Mike W doesn't state or claim "amateurs" should be taken off the streets, he actually said "these amateurs"; referring specifically to those amateurs who delude themselves (and try to delude others) into believing that they're actual indie filmmakers rather than in fact being amateur video makers. A classic application of the phrase "a little knowledge is dangerous"! 2. He doesn't simply say that these amateur filmmakers should be "taken off the streets", the implication being; they should be gotten rid of. He says they should be taken off the streets AND given paid internships AND training so they can gain actual knowledge/experience of professional filmmaking. Of course, this is only a partial solution because with the low cost of some of the technology, there are far more people calling themselves or aspiring to be indie filmmakers than there could ever be available internships for.

G

Far from it. He is arrogant and needed to be put in his place. He is a bad example of the caliber of people who are professionals in the TV and film industry. I have had the honor to know much better people than he who don't put people down. They rather are very helpful to "amateurs" and new comers who point us in the right direction with useful points and advice. That is how most TV and film professionals are--helpful and willing to share their knowledge to help newbies climb aboard.

I am in several groups with the same moderator from this group. He is a true professional. I shared his blog here on a thread a while ago on insight for new filmmakers here on the pitfalls new filmmakers should look out for in the industry. He is still getting thank yous from many members in the group for writing such a useful blog with so much good insight.

Granted myself and others here have a lot to learn. The first step in learning is to realize we have a lot to learn and seek out sources to gain that knowledge.

On my day job, many of my coworkers complain we don't get training on things we need to know for our job. I have always been a good researcher. So, I have always found the best sources of information and been self-taught. My manager asked me do I need anything to plan my future with the company. I told her I don't believe so because for many years now, I have always been able to get the information I need to get my job done. You can call that arrogant. But, big companies actually rely on people who can learn on the fly like I can.

My weakness in running a film business has been getting people with the right skills and knowledge to make films with me. I have fallen for BS artists along the way. They have been learning experiences. I cut them out from future productions. Why am I going to re-shoot the exterior spaceship scenes and redo some of the special effects in my last film? Because I know we can do better the next time around. Certain people are being replaced with help with greater skills. For the money I spent, the results should have been better. Next time around they will be. It won't be perfect. But, if each film shows continued improvement, I'm moving in the right direction. Sometimes a giant leap is made from many small steps forward.

I am not competing with anyone other than myself. Eventually, my small improvements will become noticeable to others. That's when it becomes worth it. And, that is a good philosophy for others here.

Last edited:
He needed to be enlightened, as I enlightened him with my response. ... I was not the only member to put him in his place.

Commercial filmmaking requires resources. Obtaining those required resources is one of the fundamental abilities/skills of modern indie filmmaking. Mike W pointed out that if one lacks this fundamental ability then by definition one is an amateur filmmaker rather than an indie filmmaker. So, pointing out that you don't have the required resources (and therefore obviously lack this fundamental filmmaking ability) is neither enlightening Mike W nor putting "him in his place", it's actually agreeing with him!! I tried to explain this to you previously but you don't seem to get it, neither do you seem to appreciate that by continuing to state that you have "enlightened him" and "put him in his place", you're only making yourself appear more foolish.

He is a bad example of the caliber of people who are professionals in the TV and film industry... That is how most TV and film professionals are--helpful and willing to share their knowledge to help newbies climb aboard.

You obviously don't know many professionals in the TV/film industry! The vast majority are under financial and schedule pressures and are simply too busy/engrossed to even think about newbies, let alone actively share their knowledge and help them. In my experience, Mike W appears to be an entirely typical example of a professional in the TV/film industry and indeed, considerably less harsh than many!

I have always found the best sources of information and been self-taught. My manager asked me do I need anything to plan my future with the company. I told her I don't believe so because for many years now, I have always been able to get the information I need to get my job done. You can call that arrogant.

I don't know how arrogant that is because I don't know exactly what business you're in or how good you are at it, but there are two problems with this approach as far as commercial filmmaking is concerned: 1. You obviously have not found the best sources of information! You might have found the best sources of information available on the internet or in books, but in many essential filmmaking areas the best sources of information are not available on the internet or in books. 2. Information can be self-taught and is a vital ingredient but on it's own it's virtually worthless. There is far too much information for any one person to ever learn, so to be useful, it's a case of prioritising information, relating it to other (often not so obvious) pieces of information and knowing how and when to apply it. This cannot be self-taught or at least cannot be self-taught sufficiently.

It's for these two reasons that Mike W suggested that there is no real alternative to apprenticeships/internships + training with practicing professional/commercial filmmakers.

But, big companies actually rely on people who can learn on the fly like I can.

Not any "big company" I've ever worked for or heard of! Big companies actually rely on professional experts or teams of professional experts, in various fields. People who can learn on the fly are useful under certain circumstances but big companies don't rely on them, there are various options available to big companies if new skills/knowledge is required. In the vast majority of cases, a business which has to "rely on people who can learn on the fly" tends to indicate poor management/planning and limited prospects for long term survival!

I am not competing with anyone other than myself. Eventually, my small improvements will become noticeable to others. That's when it becomes worth it. And, that is a good philosophy for others here.

That's maybe a good philosophy for "others here" who ultimately just want to be average/decent amateur filmmakers. It's a poor and naive philosophy for anyone wanting to be a commercial/professional filmmaker or even someone wishing to gain success/recognition as an amateur filmmaker! Commercial filmmaking is not just a competitive market, it's a highly competitive market. Not taking this fact into account throughout the filmmaking process is effectively turning a relatively slim chance of success into pretty much a zero chance of success. Even in amateur filmmaking, one is competing for the time and attention of viewers on say Youtube and/or competing against other amateur filmmakers to be accepted into film festivals then, if accepted, competing to win a prize and then hopefully, making another film and doing it all over again at a more respected/higher tier festival. On the commercial/professional side, small or large improvements, however noticeable, are literally worth nothing whatsoever unless you first meet market demands/requirements and compare favourably with the competition!

G

Commercial filmmaking requires resources. Obtaining those required resources is one of the fundamental abilities/skills of modern indie filmmaking. Mike W pointed out that if one lacks this fundamental ability then by definition one is an amateur filmmaker rather than an indie filmmaker. So, pointing out that you don't have the required resources (and therefore obviously lack this fundamental filmmaking ability) is neither enlightening Mike W nor putting "him in his place", it's actually agreeing with him!! I tried to explain this to you previously but you don't seem to get it, neither do you seem to appreciate that by continuing to state that you have "enlightened him" and "put him in his place", you're only making yourself appear more foolish.

Judging from the likes I got, other "Professional" film and TV members agreed with me. Even "amateur" films require resources. However, knowing that "amateur" filmmakers can and do get little to unskilled help for the low pay we can offer sets the limits as to what we can make. My day rate for a sound guy is $100 a day. When some guys respond to my ads saying their day rate is $350 per day and their work is very studio-like, I realize I will not be getting studio results. And, I will not be working with these guys because they are beyond my budget. However, I can get someone who has worked as an intern in a post audio house, so they have some experience with sound, have some or all of their equipment, likes the genre I'm working in, and will work with me. So, I am far from foolish. I realize the limitations I have to work with. And, pointing out these limits in his thread makes the information more comprehensive to new people.

You obviously don't know many professionals in the TV/film industry! The vast majority are under financial and schedule pressures and are simply too busy/engrossed to even think about newbies, let alone actively share their knowledge and help them. In my experience, Mike W appears to be an entirely typical example of a professional in the TV/film industry and indeed, considerably less harsh than many!

I know them well enough to see them on their good days and bad days. One editor, in particular is a god to all of the postproduction companies in my area because he started out as one of them and made it in Hollywood.

I don't know how arrogant that is because I don't know exactly what business you're in or how good you are at it, but there are two problems with this approach as far as commercial filmmaking is concerned: 1. You obviously have not found the best sources of information! You might have found the best sources of information available on the internet or in books, but in many essential filmmaking areas the best sources of information are not available on the internet or in books. 2. Information can be self-taught and is a vital ingredient but on it's own it's virtually worthless. There is far too much information for any one person to ever learn, so to be useful, it's a case of prioritising information, relating it to other (often not so obvious) pieces of information and knowing how and when to apply it. This cannot be self-taught or at least cannot be self-taught sufficiently.

It's for these two reasons that Mike W suggested that there is no real alternative to apprenticeships/internships + training with practicing professional/commercial filmmakers.

Filmmaking is also an artistic field. Having a natural talent for art cannot be taught. Either you have it or you don't. It is also a technical field. That must be learned. Back in my high school days, I was an art major. I was put their by a councilor who was also an art teacher because she saw potential in my doodling and pencil drawings I used to make. As I said early on, I would take an internship with the right professional. We would need the right chemistry to work together. Putting together cast and crews, I know how important good chemistry between everyone is.

I worked well with an editor who worked in two world--Professional and "Amateur." How professional was he? He worked for Canal+ as an editor for a good dozen years, did post work for the James Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies," worked on lots of TV commercials, and cut trailers for "The Siege" and did the titles for the first "Matrix." I learned a lot from him. He came to NY to start up his own postproduction company where his customers were both professionals and "amateurs" with films that needed to be put together. Through him, I met many other industry professionals. So, I recommend everyone work with a mentor.

Not any "big company" I've ever worked for or heard of! Big companies actually rely on professional experts or teams of professional experts, in various fields. People who can learn on the fly are useful under certain circumstances but big companies don't rely on them, there are various options available to big companies if new skills/knowledge is required. In the vast majority of cases, a business which has to "rely on people who can learn on the fly" tends to indicate poor management/planning and limited prospects for long term survival!

Welcome to corporate America. They are all of the above. They are so big the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing too often. I am a troubleshooter with everything I do. I have my degrees in electrical engineering technology and was a few credits away from a second degree in computer technology engineering. That has helped me with what I have to do troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and software problems with equipment my company makes in the field in customer locations. I have had to travel with design engineers to identify problems in both design and manufacturing of our products. These days, I troubleshoot network problems as well. I had 2 years of architecture in college as well, taking photography, mechanical drawing, and model building classes. That helps me to understand the disciplines of my crew. Studying servo control systems in electronic helps me not just with electronics, but in understanding inter-department communication breakdown in corporation that are the equivalent of feedback control systems in electronics and how to resolve problems to get things done. I am using that right now to resolve a problem between departments where one does not know why progress is not being made because another department is not doing something to enable the progress both departments have to make for everyone to be on the same page to help a customer.

That's maybe a good philosophy for "others here" who ultimately just want to be average/decent amateur filmmakers. It's a poor and naive philosophy for anyone wanting to be a commercial/professional filmmaker or even someone wishing to gain success/recognition as an amateur filmmaker! Commercial filmmaking is not just a competitive market, it's a highly competitive market. Not taking this fact into account throughout the filmmaking process is effectively turning a relatively slim chance of success into pretty much a zero chance of success. Even in amateur filmmaking, one is competing for the time and attention of viewers on say Youtube and/or competing against other amateur filmmakers to be accepted into film festivals then, if accepted, competing to win a prize and then hopefully, making another film and doing it all over again at a more respected/higher tier festival. On the commercial/professional side, small or large improvements, however noticeable, are literally worth nothing whatsoever unless you first meet market demands/requirements and compare favourably with the competition!

G

"You have to crawl before you walk."

My philosophy is good for anyone starting out. It applies to everything that appears to be too big and impossible to do. Breakdown something that looks too big into something small enough to understand and set goals of achievements which becomes a game plan to succeed. For something as everyday as organizing a flat, apartment, or home that looks like too much of a mess to manage, it starts with breaking it down into smaller steps of achievements to make a great leap forward.

Last edited:
... I am far from foolish. I realize the limitations I have to work with. And, pointing out these limits in his thread makes the information more comprehensive to new people.

In many respects, this quoted statement epitomises the whole problem/issue to which Mike W was referring! The problem is in how and why you define the limitations within which you have to work. I understand and appreciate (and I'm sure Mike W does too) that as an amateur you approach your filmmaking and define your filmmaking limitations by the resources you have/can afford. The basic ethos being; to do the best you can with what you've got. You seem to be completely missing the point that Mike W is neither ignorant of, nor disputes the existence of this approach/ethos or of the challenges it represents. And, it's for this reason that you neither enlightened him nor put him in his place! Mike W is not calling you foolish because you realise the limitations within in which you have to work (all professional at all levels have to do the same!), he is calling you ignorant because of your ethos/approach which defines your limitations in the first place! I said you were making yourself look more foolish because you seem incapable of looking beyond your approach/ethos and redefining your limitations, which is something you are going to have to do at some stage or forever remain an amateur!

"You have to crawl before you walk."

My philosophy is good for anyone starting out. It applies to everything that appears to be too big and impossible to do. Breakdown something that looks too big into something small enough to understand and set goals of achievements which becomes a game plan to succeed. For something as everyday as organizing a flat, apartment, or home that looks like too much of a mess to manage, it starts with breaking it down into smaller steps of achievements to make a great leap forward.

That is a good philosophy but of course it requires that one is able to breakdown the ultimate goal into appropriate smaller tasks. If the smaller tasks are not appropriate, one could easily find oneself having done a great deal of work on these smaller tasks but actually be no closer to the ultimate goal!

G

Maybe the tone is harsh, but he's pretty much spot-on in two ways:

1. There ARE a lot of self-proclaimed "indie filmmakers" with no talent or work ethic, and we see them on sites like this one. Remember that guy who kept claiming he had ideas worth $10 million, and had a business profile saying Disney was his competitor? It's absolute no-accounts like him who are making serious filmmakers look bad.

2. In any industry, paid professionals will always disdain unpaid amatuers.

And if you want to hear "harsh", you should sit in with some genuine working film professionals---not "indie filmmakers", not "aspiring screenwriters", or any other amateur lacking work experience or credits outside of their own short films---but people who have worked in film/television for long periods of time. You should sit in with them and hear what they have to say about "indie filmmakers", particularly the ones who beg them to look at their product or offer their ideas for no pay, just screen credit. As one producer I know says: "any screenplay offered for free isn't worth reading".

I disagree with his implied premise that the proliferation of amateur (indie, whathave you) is a problem (even with the signal to noise issues) and his opinions seemed a little... Disconnected from the ways that technology will inevitably change established industries.

But he has some completely valid points, especially around safety imo. And I like that his "call to action" involves professionals actually paying people while they're learning their craft.

I mean, in no way do I think me or my fellow non-pros need to be swept off the streets. I think non-pro film is awesome. But come on... As an amateur/indie filmmaker who tries to make web series "I think you're currently uneducated, untrained and ignorant, you should get a paid internship" is REALLY not the most offensive thing I've heard :P

Back