Blackmagic Deisgn 2.5K Raw S16 -- for 2,999.99 - July

Cool - I'll take your word for it on the prototype performance. This probably has something to do with why he hasn't been allowed to release the original raw files online yet anyway. He also hasn't mentioned anything about what he's using to convert from raw, there's a lot of room in that process to change the results significantly.

And while I do expect more visible noise with lower compression - it's the type of noise that concerned me. I would expect to see more fine, high frequency noise, but the color channels exhibit significant mid- to low-frequency noise. Again though, that could be a result of the debayering process. I suppose at this point there's not much point in analyzing it too closely - the camera will be here soon enough and we'll have plenty of real world results to determine where it fits best.

Cool - I'll take your word for it on the prototype performance. This probably has something to do with why he hasn't been allowed to release the original raw files online yet anyway. He also hasn't mentioned anything about what he's using to convert from raw, there's a lot of room in that process to change the results significantly.

He's using resolve to convert the raw. It's just a prototype camera, so with that comes a lotof bad things. John mentioned that there were dead pixels, that's an indicator of just how prototype it is.

The camera I have testing right now freezes when attempting to record some times. Super prototype lol.

And while I do expect more visible noise with lower compression - it's the type of noise that concerned me. I would expect to see more fine, high frequency noise, but the color channels exhibit significant mid- to low-frequency noise. Again though, that could be a result of the debayering process. I suppose at this point there's not much point in analyzing it too closely - the camera will be here soon enough and we'll have plenty of real world results to determine where it fits best.

Agreed. It does look more alarming at first glance, but s'all good. It will be here, probably not soon enough. Arg.

The wait is gonna be pretty killer. First time I've ever considered putting off a project until the release of a camera.

No news.

Just hoping my bleeding edge preorder gets me a camera first run out.

I'm a little more understanding of people clamoring for at least 60P these days. I find myself reaching for it more often than I realized, even for small material.

Ah well, maybe I'll sell it early and make some money =3 they aren't fonna be available em masse until October or so.

I've been working on my budget for a few months, choosing my set of equipments that includes a GH2 and good lenses. Now I'm ready to buy everything, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the Blackmagic. I mean, it is difficult to control the urge to start working. I can not stand to make spreadsheets, quotations, budgets and use a calculator instead of a camera all the time anymore.

Do you believe that Blackmagic is really a revolutionary camera that is worth waiting for, and that is far superior to a hacked GH2?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, where did you here that? It seems plausible, but I was hoping to be able to pick one up by September for an upcoming project...

Just posts on other forums. I wouldn't be surprised if it were backed up til next year.

I've been working on my budget for a few months, choosing my set of equipments that includes a GH2 and good lenses. Now I'm ready to buy everything, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the Blackmagic. I mean, it is difficult to control the urge to start working. I can not stand to make spreadsheets, quotations, budgets and use a calculator instead of a camera all the time anymore.

Do you believe that Blackmagic is really a revolutionary camera that is worth waiting for, and that is far superior to a hacked GH2?

It's evolutionary more so. It'll likely produce an image that's closer to Alexa than anything else out there under Alexa, so that's saying a lot.

Thing is, like you said, dunno if I would wait if I weren't already in line. It looks like ITs gonna be a looooong line to stand in. You could be shooting with a gh2 now and then a magic cam later.

John Brawley has posted some new frame grabs of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. I think they look great. You can check the rest of the stuff in his blog.

Graded
casey_1-22-1.jpg

Ungraded
casey_1-22-2.jpg

Graded
casey_1-2-2.jpg

Ungraded
casey_1-2-1.jpg

Are the pics loading? Can you see them?

Yes loading here.
I like it, but all the videos and the stills from blackmagic tests do not bring any cinematic aspiration. For a camera that carry a "cinema" word in the name, it would be important.

It makes me decide to wait for this instead of take the GH2 right now. I would like to see what the indie filmmakers can do with this camera. They already should doing this footages.

It's the eternal dilemma:
shoot with what you have and know or wait for the next thing.
I see you don't have a camera yet: I that case you could wait. Or not.
(You decide :P )

Don't forget that you'll need real fast and large RAID-drives to edit raw-footage.
And external batteries too: you can't change the internal one.
(Their mantra is: 1,5 hour is long enough for cinema. Recharge or switch cameras and go on. I'm told the battery is internal because that's easier and cheaper to make.)

However, I've seen a preproduction camera and it looked good. But I'd wait to see what the gearheads have to tell about sharpness and the amount of rolling shutter.

What makes you say they're not "cinematic"? I think they look really good.
What is cinematic anyway?

I'm not talking about the image quality itself, I like it too. Otherwise I would not be delaying all my plan to wait for it. But let's talk about what makes you feel the cinematic feeling when you put your eyes on a footage: lighting, camera movements, storytelling, acting, and sound&music. This is cinematic. A film is not only an image that looks like a film and that's why only a talented and experienced filmmaker can do it.

I mean, why the camera is handheld in these blackmagic tests? Filmmakers don't do it (unless it's part of the script). Would not be more appropriate to hire a filmmaker and make a short film with this equipment, exposing and developing common situations that appears in the routine of the most interested people? I think not only would have been helpful, but also charming. How many people do you know who shoot movies to make money? Very few. Most do because they can not live without it, it's a dream, something that comes from soul. So it has to be considered at the launch of a camera called "cinema".

Well, it's only my opinion. :secret:

It's the eternal dilemma:
shoot with what you have and know or wait for the next thing.
I see you don't have a camera yet: I that case you could wait. Or not.
(You decide :P )

Don't forget that you'll need real fast and large RAID-drives to edit raw-footage.
And external batteries too: you can't change the internal one.
(Their mantra is: 1,5 hour is long enough for cinema. Recharge or switch cameras and go on. I'm told the battery is internal because that's easier and cheaper to make.)

Yea, I'm looking for the accessories to see if the final price will not exceed my budget hehe. I have U$7.000 for the camera. Buying the GH2 (1.200) I can take very good lenses. It's a very hard dilemma. I'm an editor and already worked a lot with 5D mkII. But maybe Blackmagic files bring some trouble, as you say. Using i7, 12gRam, an excelent video card for hardware acceleration. Hm, don't know, do you think it's enough?

To complicate my point, I was hired this week by an internet advertising company to work on video ads, but they told me to upgrade the current camera in order to get the good jobs. I'm using a Canon S30, a good kid for simple works. Now all changed and I have to be fast. :seeya:

Last edited:
Back