Canon GL1 vs. The Elements

I'm planning on taking my Canon gl1 out next weekend and checking out all the features and stuff. I'm a little self-conscious about messing this thing up. I just got it and I'm trying to be careful with it starting off. If I get out in the woods or something and it starts raining. Do cameras usually handle these situations pretty well or do I need to have some kind of rain cover for this on hand all the time.

Also, is dusty or dirty areas much of an issue. I will be out in the woods and in barns with this thing. I used to just grab my panasonic dv53 and do whatever with it, but this being twice as expensive , I don't want to ruin it before I even get an hour of recording on it :)

I know people record in water and mud all the time. How best should I go about keeping this camera in good shape under extreme conditions. Also, what types of items do you carry in your camera/ lens cleaning kits once you go out.

Thanks.

It would probably be best if you kept it away from dust and water.

Yeah, I guess most people use their equipment in interior locations. I am planning to get a lot of footage outside. I don't plan to get it wet if I can help it, but the dust might be tough. Maybe I can tidy the woods up a bit before we go out :)

I'm mostly worried about getting my lens dirty or messing up the inside of the camera. It has just been professionally cleaned, so it looks like it just came out of the box. I'm trying to keep it close to that if I can.

I have seen something where this guy uses a regular plastic bag you can get from the grocery store, and makes a couple holes, one for the front and one for the lcd. he taped it or used rubber bands or something so it stayed snug on the camera.

Oh and the new Sony NX70 is supposed to be fully dust and shower free.

Ebay has a rain-dust-snow cover for the camera, but it looks like a little plastic bag and they want $30 plus $20 s&h. I guess I'll keep a cheap, light poncho handy when I'm going out and about and just be careful that I have an expensive piece of machinery with me.

I also saw a video for a lenspen for the lens to keep it clean all the time. Thinking of picking up one of those and some lens cloths.

Back