Newb here with newb question.

Heya,
I'n new to this forum and i thought I would start by saying hello
with a quesion that I've been un-sure about for quite a while. I'm
shooting an independent film in July on a low budget and there
are a few scenes in this one room covered in posters. Is it okay to have movie
and Video game posters on the wall in a film? I see it a lot but then again
i see logo's and brands get blurred out in TV shows, i just dont get it.

Would i have to get permission to use posters of Video games and such?
Would i have to pay for rights?
Could i just put them up and not worry?
:huh:
I can tell that i would look back on my qustion with regret and embarrassment but i just
cant get a straight answer off the internet.

Will be awaiting replies, thanks!

Would i have to get permission to use posters of Video games and such?
Depends...

Would i have to pay for rights?
Maybe...

Could i just put them up and not worry?
No

I can tell that i would look back on my qustion with regret and embarrassment but i just cant get a straight answer off the internet.

The reason you are not getting any "straight" answers is that it is going to be on a case-by-case basis. Sure, you can use anything in a film and nothing may happen, or you could turn into the poster child for product usage litigation if a company decides to make an issue of the usage of their product in a film. And the more notoriety your film attains the more chance you have of becoming a target. Now the odds are probably fairly slim that anything may happen, but if you just happen to make a cult classic it could become an very, very expensive problem. You should always speak with an attorney as taking the word of anyone on a forum could be costly.

Depends...

Maybe...

No

The reason you are not getting any "straight" answers is that it is going to be on a case-by-case basis. Sure, you can use anything in a film and nothing may happen, or you could turn into the poster child for product usage litigation if a company decides to make an issue of the usage of their product in a film. And the more notoriety your film attains the more chance you have of becoming a target. Now the odds are probably fairly slim that anything may happen, but if you just happen to make a cult classic it could become an very, very expensive problem. You should always speak with an attorney as taking the word of anyone on a forum could be costly.

I don't know how big you want the posters, but have you thought about making "Fake" posters; taking pictures you taken, blowing them up, putting lettering on, ect? I guess if you want poster sized pictures, you may have to buy special paper, and that may be a non-starter for your budget (considering how much "photo paper" can be!)

I've been learning if there's anything even remotely chancing of copyright, get it checked out legally is always a good idea.

There's an idea for a business- make "fake posters" for people wanting to use them in films and are on a budget! I'd better get right on that- how many do you need? ;)

Yeah, save your self some worry and make your own. Keep in mind that your not shooting the ENTIRE room at the same time... so just one corner covered with posters might be enough. Look at your shots. Maybe you only need a small section of wall covered..

Attach your posters to a large sheet of something.. poster board? and you can move it around for each shot.

Maybe you can ask some people in here permission to ask their posters?
(I got a cool one for a 1-minute I made, but the title is dutch...)
Or explain what kind of images you are looking for?

Good question btw, posters can be a cool way to refer to something else.

Back