PC/Wireless Internet Problem. Any Help....?

Hi all!

I know this is a filmmaking forum, but I thought one of you guys may be able to help me out with a little computer problem I’m having (or should I say, have been having for quite some time!). I’m normally pretty good with computers, but for the life of me I can’t seem to solve this problem!

So, a while back I built myself a desktop PC. When I did so, I included a Belkin Wireless card, hoping it would save me the hassle of trailing wires from one room to the next (my modem/router is in a different room to the PC). It seems to connect to the network no problem and when connected it shows a strong signal (four-out-of-five bars). However, if I then try to access the internet, it tries to load, changes it’s status to ‘limited’, then just disconnects. It’s as if it’s fine until it actually tries to exchange any data, then it just shuts down…

The PC is Windows 8.1. The modem/router is a Virgin Media Smarthub, manufactured by Netgear. The wireless card is by Belkin, but I’ve also tried USB wireless adaptors and had exactly the same issue. My laptop connects and works with no problem what-so-ever, even from the exact same spot as the desktop. Smartphone and tablets work no problem too.

Also, I have no problem when connecting the PC via Ethernet. When it’s plugged in, my home network works like a charm!

Any thoughts? I’d love to get this sorted as soon as possible, as I may be moving the PC in the very near future.

Cheers!

I don't think anyone's trying to waste anyone else's time. We all share your frustration – especially given that no solution is presenting itself – but anyone who's posted advice, whether it's good or bad advice, cares enough to try and help out.

We'll get it fixed, I'm confident (even though I have zero suggestions to make).

Honestly Nick, the problem doesn't frustrate me, I'd just like to get it sorted. And I do appreciate everybody's advice. I'm working on fixing the problem right now, using the very suggestions I've been given here.

What I have found frustrating in this thread is a suggestion which esentially boils down to no more than me moving the PC approx. 15m further from the router than it already is. It's about 25m from the router at present, and the Internet is perfect via ethernet. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work in it's new position, about 40m from the router. I just don't see what could possibly be learned by moving it.

I don't particularly appreciate being passive/aggressively abused for that.

Ok, so...

The desktop and the laptop show the same IP address.

I disabled the security on the router and the PC connected fine. Plus, the Internet seemed to be working fine! I was even able to stream YT in full HD. I then tried to join a game of Left 4 Dead. It found a game, but kicked me due to a network error. I then disconnected, reinstated the security, then reconnected. Again, the Internet was working ok. However, I couldn't stream YT in HD (although 480 seemed to be ok). Steam wouldn't load at all this time. Apps, such as Facebook, seemed to be limited. It's now back to how it was before I started. It connects to the network, but as soon as I try to use the Internet, it goes to limited, then disconnects...

Still puzzled...

Back