why do small indie films need AD's and such

No one on this site has ever even hired a music publicist

You got me there... I've never hired a music publicist. I don't have much to do with music, but yep, you're right. That's probably the most intelligent thing I've heard come from you... Now we're past this, what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

i have a better film and bigger budget than you will ever have

Who knows. You may be the best "director filmmaker savant" in history and have cracked the code that neither Hitchcock nor any other greats cracked - Having an AD stifles an artists creativeness." Oh wait, it doesn't, but hell, over a hundred years of history down the drain.... pack it up guys, this guy worked out we've been doing it wrong all this time!

i ask the right questions to know what i need.

You remind me of a local filmmaker who convinced himself that it's a great idea to AD and direct his own feature film. While this is slightly problematic for someone without experience as it's his first film, no real biggie. Further into the conversation it turns out that he's also going to cater and star in the film. I was getting a little worried at this point. So I inquired to whether he'll have an experienced DOP capable to direct him while he's in front of the camera. "Oh, I'm the DOP and camera op too!" I stopped asking more questions.... About a month later I was chatting with an actress on set who had been cast as the lead in a feature film. Turns out it was the same production. She turned ghost white when she found out why I wanted nothing to do with the production.

Even that guy understood the importance of an AD.
You can lead a horse to water, blah blah blah.

You can do whatever you want. You and your rich sugar daddy can outspend me. It doesn't matter. Just because you have a larger budget and hire music publicists all day long doesn't make the idea of producing a feature film without a First AD and less idiotic.

i have a better film and bigger budget than you will ever have .

Liar! 1. You don't actually have a film, let alone a "better" one and 2. I seriously doubt you will ever work on a film with even a 10th of the budget of films I've worked on!

No one on this site has ever even hired a music publicist.

Liar, again! Obviously we didn't need to personally hire a music publicist when we were with BMG Records because they had their own all over the globe but we did some projects outside of our BMG contract where we did hire music publicists.

Dont talk to me about being professional i ask the right questions to know what i need. Most people never figure it out

They don't indeed! And even many of those who do "ask the right questions" are too ignorant to understand or appreciate the answers!! BTW, with this last sentence I didn't mean to imply that you are in fact asking the right questions.

For everyone else: I think the OP is either 1. Just making a music video or 2. If he's actually making a film, is very young and has some hard lessons coming his way or 3. Is just trolling.

G

For everyone else: I think the OP is either 1. Just making a music video or 2. If he's actually making a film, is very young and has some hard lessons coming his way or 3. Is just trolling.
4. Wants an agenda-driven discussion. He was convinced he could do without an AD, came here for reinforcement, and when he didn't get it he resorted to slinging insults.

Just because you can handle it all yourself, doesn't mean you need to. I did a 48 Hour Film Project a few weeks ago and we had two guys who just sort of fell into the position of AD. Their job, quite simply, was to keep everyone on schedule so the director could direct. Maybe we didn't need them, and maybe we would have failed without them. But they were absolutely critical to our completing the film before deadline.

Even if our film isn't as good as yours.

You got me there... I've never hired a music publicist. I don't have much to do with music, but yep, you're right. That's probably the most intelligent thing I've heard come from you... Now we're past this, what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Who knows. You may be the best "director filmmaker savant" in history and have cracked the code that neither Hitchcock nor any other greats cracked - Having an AD stifles an artists creativeness." Oh wait, it doesn't, but hell, over a hundred years of history down the drain.... pack it up guys, this guy worked out we've been doing it wrong all this time!

You remind me of a local filmmaker who convinced himself that it's a great idea to AD and direct his own feature film. While this is slightly problematic for someone without experience as it's his first film, no real biggie. Further into the conversation it turns out that he's also going to cater and star in the film. I was getting a little worried at this point. So I inquired to whether he'll have an experienced DOP capable to direct him while he's in front of the camera. "Oh, I'm the DOP and camera op too!" I stopped asking more questions.... About a month later I was chatting with an actress on set who had been cast as the lead in a feature film. Turns out it was the same production. She turned ghost white when she found out why I wanted nothing to do with the production.

Even that guy understood the importance of an AD.
You can lead a horse to water, blah blah blah.

You can do whatever you want. You and your rich sugar daddy can outspend me. It doesn't matter. Just because you have a larger budget and hire music publicists all day long doesn't make the idea of producing a feature film without a First AD and less idiotic.

you were insulting first. many people mentioned that not every film needs an AD. I dont have a mechanical script . So leave it alone or you're the one being kind of harassing here

Love it.

Op, can you do one thing. Can you please post your film (since you're telling us nothing about it) when it's done, along with your experiences on how it went?

you were insulting first

I see you're working hard on the art of storytelling.

many people mentioned that not every film needs an AD

Yes, and if you read further into it, they're not talking about feature films. They're talking about smaller films that are shot in a living room, as you framed the question. While it's correct, in some limited situations you don't "NEED" a full time, separate AD, there are virtually no situations where the duties of an AD don't need to be performed on set.

So leave it alone or you're the one being kind of harassing here

You seem to be getting upset. If something as trivial as a forum thread whether or not to use an AD gets you riled up, maybe it is time to consider whether the filmmaking process is for you. Your treatment on this thread is mild compared to what can happen in this industry, both on and off the set.

"Who's Who on a Movie Crew"
https://vimeo.com/71838170

AD is @ 2:19 :)

Note: none of the roles on a movie set interferes with "artistic vision" they're all there to support and realize that vision... and in the case, perhaps, of producers, reign it in slightly if the vision exceeds what the budget will allow.

Note: none of the roles on a movie set interferes with "artistic vision" they're all there to support and realize that vision... and in the case, perhaps, of producers, reign it in slightly if the vision exceeds what the budget will allow.

This is what he is resisting. He has a big budget "i have a better film and
bigger budget than you will ever have" so that's the only excuse he has
for not using a full crew including a First AD.

While all the advice is falling on deaf ears with davidevans10 I suspect
there might be other reading who will understand what Will said; the crew
is on set to support the artistic vision of the director. "an AD being a
headache to an artist" comes from a lack of understanding. The "artist"
needs a strong support system when making a movie. "something socially
relevant that comes downs to emotion and actors" needs a strong crew to
assist the actors and director express that emotion. When the director and
actors need to think about all the tech aspects (lighting, audio, camera
placement, where to get a bottle of water, continuity) they are spending
time and energy away from the emotion and artistic vision.

Unlike painting or writing a novel the "artist" making a movie needs other
people around during the creative process. Too many directors just starting
out are under the impression that anyone else on a crew is going to hold
them back - that making a movie is the solo effort of an "artist".

Too many directors just starting
out are under the impression that anyone else on a crew is going to hold
them back - that making a movie is the solo effort of an "artist".

On the other hand, some indie filmmakers have found that other "creative" (director types) people on the crew DO hold them back.

While getting input along the way isn't always a bad thing, I've found that having a Kubrickensie grip can result in a final product that the I can live with. Man, I'd hate myself if I reluctlantly let someone else's bright idea get into the final print and have to cringe every time I watched my own film.

On the other hand, some indie filmmakers have found that other "creative" (director types) people on the crew DO hold them back.

While getting input along the way isn't always a bad thing, I've found that having a Kubrickensie grip can result in a final product that the I can live with. Man, I'd hate myself if I reluctlantly let someone else's bright idea get into the final print and have to cringe every time I watched my own film.

thanks portland. silenced

As long as you get exactly what you want to hear you are a reasonable
person.

On the other side, it's very easy to not hire a Kubrickensie grip and it's
very easy for a "creative" (director types) to not take poor advice from
the crew. It is a weak director who reluctantly let someone else's bright
idea get into the final print. I will suggest that in that case it is the director
who has the problem not the crew.

I can see that davidevans10 feels weak as a creative type. Sorry to see that
GA is also susceptible to a crew member's ideas. It's so easy to say no rather
than take an idea you don't like.

But I think I understand better. And I go back to my first comment; davidevans10
do not use an AD until you are stronger as a director.

As long as you get exactly what you want to hear you are a reasonable
person.

On the other side, it's very easy to not hire a Kubrickensie grip and it's
very easy for a "creative" (director types) to not take poor advice from
the crew. It is a weak director who reluctantly let someone else's bright
idea get into the final print. I will suggest that in that case it is the director
who has the problem not the crew.

I can see that davidevans10 feels weak as a creative type. Sorry to see that
GA is also susceptible to a crew member's ideas. It's so easy to say no rather
than take an idea you don't like.

But I think I understand better. And I go back to my first comment; davidevans10
do not use an AD until you are stronger as a director.

should've known hollywood couldnt shut his trap haha. usually i talk smack in forums but i was just asking a question here. I have a film backing because of my prior success in the arts as a creative person. so fail there.

how does it feel to wake up in hollywood working on sequels and shit only to finally realize that you didnt have to move anywhere and you wont go anywhere because you never had an idea or talent?
taking some innocent comments personally shows your bitterness . move on

........I have a film backing because of my prior success in the arts as a creative person......

And between all the "yes!" "no!" blabla I asked you out of pure curiosity and genuine interest about your arts.
So what prior succes as a creative person are you talking about?

should've known hollywood couldnt shut his trap haha. usually i talk smack in forums but i was just asking a question here. I have a film backing because of my prior success in the arts as a creative person. so fail there.

how does it feel to wake up in hollywood working on sequels and shit only to finally realize that you didnt have to move anywhere and you wont go anywhere because you never had an idea or talent?
taking some innocent comments personally shows your bitterness . move on

Ouch. The ol' put down at someone earning a living doing what they love
because they are not an "artist". But I'll answer seriously and with respect;

It feels good. I love earning my living doing what I love. Yes, I gave up the
"artist" ambition long ago and now see film (and TV) production as a craft.
A craft I'm good at. Everyday I wake up in Hollywood (I can see the famous
Hollywood sign from my kitchen) looking forward to going to work a 12/14
hour day. I'm surrounded by great, skilled, talented people who also love
their job. I have absolutely worked on sequels and a LOT of shit. It comes
with the job. I have also worked on projects I'm very proud of.

And in a PM

davidevans10 said:
so your going to dish out then go cry when your put in your place.? Your the worst kind of trash

I'm not sure what this means. Did I hit a nerve?

Back