• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does rewriting always improves a script?

If you rewrite a screenplay, does it mean it always, automatically gets better or is it possible to actually ruin it by re-writing? In other words, can rewriting also be damaging to a script? Just curious...:)

Bit of an unanswerable question that… It all depends on you.

Rewrites may make your screenplay better, as you cut out the unnecessary crap and improve the dialogue. But those parts that you consider to be unnecessary, might actually be the best parts, so by cutting them, you are making your script worse. But then, you may have written the perfect script in the first place. Or perhaps your original idea was initially flawed, so no amount of rewrite will improve the script.

Only rewrite if the rewrites a necessary.

Personally, I always write a ‘vomit draft’, planning for substantial rewrites afterwards. Without any rewrites, my work would most likely be terrible!

Depends on the nature of the re-write. For spec scripts, I'd say most that I've read could have been re-written. When we're talking shooting scripts--that is, scripts that are actually being shot--yes, re-writes can do damage. Unfortunately, re-writes are often necessitated by changes of location, actors, budget, etc. Rewriting is often a good thing before a film goes into production and a bad thing after it starts.

In general, re-writing ripples forward and backward in a narrative. In a spec script, that's fixable. In a shooting script where elements have already been shot, it can be a continuity nightmare. In "Casablanca", the script was literally being written just a day ahead of the shoot towards the end. They started shooting before the script was even finished! It was continuously revised to remove sexual innuendo and profanity that would go unnoticed today. The movie is a classic largely due to the phenomenal acting and incredible efforts behind the scenes. However, that is a rare exception.

As others said, "it depends".

That being said, I can't imagine any screenplay that wasn't re-written at least 3 times. That's usually my minimum. Like any kind of art you also have to know when to put the brush down and call it 'finished".

If you rewrite a screenplay, does it mean it always, automatically gets better or is it possible to actually ruin it by re-writing? In other words, can rewriting also be damaging to a script? Just curious...:)

Many scripts are rewritten to match budget needs (and sometimes talent needs). If you aimed high with the original, expect to be disappointed with the rewrite.

I would say, 99% of the time it will make your script better.

Hemmingway said, "The first draft of anything is shit."

Having taught screenwriting for the past couple of years and read hundreds of scripts, I feel that all of them were improved with re-writes.

Scott

I would say, 99% of the time it will make your script better.

Hemmingway said, "The first draft of anything is shit."

Having taught screenwriting for the past couple of years and read hundreds of scripts, I feel that all of them were improved with re-writes.

Scott

When I write a first draft I just plow ahead. I don't go back and re-read much, I definitely don't go back and rewrite sections I have already written. The object is just to forge ahead and get the pages done. Get from A to B relentlessly. THEN the rewrite process is refining that.

In other words it improves the script, because there are specific goals with the rewrite and the effort focuses on those things. It doesn't necessarily improve the story.

Rewriting doesn't makes it automaticly better.
If it would, every script could and would be rewritten till it's a masterpiece.

It's a creative process: not every iteration is a guaranteed improvement.

I would say to a point, it makes the script better. There is such a thing as over writing a script just like over thinking a problem. Over writing a script can make it worse.

Experience is the best teacher of when it is right.

Also, getting a second opinion on a script is a good guideline as to when it is good enough to produce.

Last edited:

Is this seriously a question?
Give me a script, I will rewrite it and make it worse for you.
There is your answer

Well, I think if you rewrite your script every day, even if you've "finished" it long ago, doesn't really improve your script. But if you give a brake, suppose for 2 month, you can come up with some fresh ideas or just see some things you want to fix.

Back