• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Looking for a writer to collaborate with

Hey everyone,

Up until now I've written my own stuff. I like writing and being involved in the creation of story. But I don't think that's really where my talents lie.

I won a few local and national competitions last year, and I feel I'm reaching the next stage of filmmaking for me, - looking to create films with actual budgets (albeit minimal), to do more with them than just upload them online. I want to begin doing a fuller pre-production process, working with a larger team, entering into larger festivals/competitions and doing the whole building an audience business.

Part of this involves collaborating on writing to a greater level - i.e. with someone who is a better writer than me. I have a few things I'm developing, and want to go into pre-pro on very soon with the aim of shooting in November (to enter into Tropfest, which closes at the start of December).

I'm a student and can't offer to pay anyone (though any competition success that did come would have the rewards shared) - I'm more looking for someone to create a kind of partnership, or getting to know a few people with similar tastes who can contribute on a project-by-project basis.

It'd be nice to work with someone with a little more experience at a higher level in areas other than just writing, for the sake of producing advice and the like.

My taste is pretty varied, I'd like to think. Once upon a time I'd of said I'm only interested in moody, slow art-house drama type films. But recently I find myself seeking out genre films, and writing similar stuff. My current project is some sort of crime-comedy. Whereas my last project was a semi-abstract dialogue free short where not a lot happened but people looked sad a lot. My influences include:
1) Darren Aronofsky. I don't like him so much anymore, but he got me into filmmaking, and it's only been lately that his influence is less apparent in my work. I'm still influenced by some of his cinematography and editing choices
2) Michael Haneke. Another early influence, and where my love for slow cinema comes from.
3) Edgar Wright has greatly influenced my editing style, the way I think about sound and comedy.
4) Shane Carruth. Primer made me consider the possibilities on low budgets, Upstream Colour made me more interested in creating more abstract films. I still don't really know what UC is about, but it's possibly my favourite film, because of how it made me feel. For a long while after seeing UC I gave far less attention to narrative than I did emotion.
5) The Coen Brothers. Always liked em. The most obvious example of the kind of genre films I enjoy.
6) Sergio Leone. Always had a soft spot for the western.

If anyone is interested in such a thing (I imagine most writers are more interested in writing their own projects, though), maybe flick me a message or an email and we can discuss tastes, previous work, etc?
jonathan[dot]pmines[at]gmail[dot]com

If this doesn't get much of a response, I may just post again in a few weeks when I have a gone through a few drafts on my current script looking for help to tidy things up.

Back