Screenwriting Software

I'm really anxious to get going on my first script, but I don't have any screenwriting sofware. My birthday is in Feburary so do you think it would be worth the wait and get the software then because I don't have the hundred-something dollars to spend right now ( I'm only sixteen). I tried starting it in Microsoft word but It's driving me crazy. SO my question really is: Should I wait to get the software before starting my script? and, What are your suggestions on which software to buy?

Thanks in advance

Is that how cheap FD is now? I went for Movie Magic because it looked more user friendly to me. I dunno, guess it just appealed more plus the 2000 version was supposed to have better or upgraded features.
But then i havent used FD so dunno what its like.

If youre serious then sure go for it but make sure you are first. You can get some free software can you not? Believe mentioned on this forum somewhere before. Things like script buddy, have no idea what they are like only that they exist

Good luck to you

FIRST: Learn how to write scripts in standard format. It is incredibly easy to learn. Here is a terrific example of standard script: http://www.nyscreenwriter.com/formatexample.htm .

SECOND: Use Final Draft. (I use v6) It makes it very very easy to format, but again, if you don't know how to write in standard format a screenwriting program won't be much help. Final draft has all kinds of neat features to help you out too like shooting schedules and budgeting if you are a filmmaker as well.

For the time being, it costs only a few cents and some brain time to get your idea on paper, and outline or write the key features of each scene you imagine. Even if you sit down to write and it ends up coming out far different than what you imagined, at least you have something to work from rather than just stretching your brain to imagine story AND write dialog at the same time.

ScreenWriter Pro

I picked up a copy of ScreenWriter Pro from VirtualAmnesia for < $30. It's taking a little getting-used-to, but for the price it seems pretty comprehensive. They've got a trial mode so you can give it a try before deciding.

Their website is http://www.virtualamnesia.com

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a customer.

But while I'm here and discussing screenwriting software, would anyone be interested in a voice-driven dictation version?

Thanks,

Steve P.

Back