• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriters Wanted!!!!!

hey. i am looking to direct my first film, but i need someone to write the story. i have ideas for what the story will be. i am just starting, and i want the story to be good. so i NEED a writer. If anyone could help me out i wouly really appreciate it.

Hi there, Mr Pepper! :)

Aside from story, one would assume you have the rest of everything lined up? Cast, crew, equipment?

Take a few minutes to fill out your profile, as well... someone may need a director (or assistant fresh at the gate), and knowing a few things like location etc, is handy information.

If you're all set up and good to go (and still are missing an elusive original screenplay) there's nothing wrong with retelling older (public domain) tales to basically get experience and reels, for everyone!

Doing the 156th version of Poe's "Tell-tale Heart" may not be the most original idea in the world, but having completed version 157 you would have a little something under your belt, some lessons learned, and most importantly met a few more local people (hopefully)... and all in the time one could have spent searching for the elusive perfect original screenplay. :P

Oh... and welcome to IndieTalk
smiley_badger.gif

Welcome :)

Zen has already mentioned some great things. You might also consider giving a genra you are looking to film as many writers are specialized (to some degree).

Welcome Sarge!

As Zen asked - If you want to offer a little more information about yourself and the project it'll be easier for a potential writer to make an informed decision.

I have several short scripts that I never got around to shooting when I moved to features.

Little things like:
how much you can spend - no need to offer you a story that needs a helicopter if you can't afford to rent one.
locations - no need to offer you a story that takes place on the beach if you live in Kansas.
genre - not need to offer you a heavy drama about teen suicide if you're looking to make a college comedy.

Writing a "GOOD" story and script is hard work. The more you offer in the way of information - the better the response you will get.

Actually Zen I've considered your suggestions, and decided to make some shorts of some of Oscar Wilde's short stories (I love him) Besides, the stories have a special meaning to me, my uncle who I'm very close with gave me a book of short stories by Oscar Wilde back when he lived with us.

I mean to do this before I try to start on my project which I have mentioned in other posts.

Back