Artificial Intelligence Coming to Cameras

Ryan Stout, Arsenal’s founder and CEO: “You can go spend a thousand dollars and out-of-the-box it will take worse photos than your smartphone. Arsenal changes that by making your existing camera smarter.”

Wonderful. Take all personal creativity out of the art of photography and
allow some computer algorithm make the choice.

Anyone who has read my comments here on indietalk will know that I
always tell new filmmakers that it's NOT the camera it's the human
behind the camera. I guess I can't say that any more. Buy the right
camera and you don't even have to pay attention to how you shoot. The
camera will do it for you.

Anyone who has read my comments here on indietalk will know that I
always tell new filmmakers that it's NOT the camera it's the human
behind the camera. I guess I can't say that any more. Buy the right
camera and you don't even have to pay attention to how you shoot. The
camera will do it for you.

I guess this comes to a questions of 'what is photography' - or 'why do we photograph'?

Don't we take photos to express our unique perspective on the world? I think too many amateurs get caught up in the 'how' and not the 'why'.

As said, it doesn't matter what you shoot on. There are plenty of films and photos that have been shot on non-professional equipment to evoke a certain effect or feeling.

This, to me, just looks like a souped-up version of a camera's spot meter - and how many photographers do you know who shoot in full auto?

Even given a 'perfect' spot meter (which is what I guess this purports to do), I'll still shoot manual. I don't want the camera to tell me how I should be exposing, or framing or whatever.

Surely we hire photographers, filmmakers and artists for their unique perspectives and talents?

Back