Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Computers/Software

Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #31
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Basically I got some really good deals. First I snagged a promo. Then I was able to work another promo by calling. Then I caught Black Friday. So now I'm aligned with that. If they don't offer it this year I will prob get Photoshop only for 9.99 and add on Illustrator. I'm not a video editor like you guys, just a casual user of PS and AI. So I can see where you are coming from where there are other alternatives. But Adobe pretty much owns the space with still editing/logos etc. And it's worth having the latest as long as you have a good deal.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #32
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
And, that's why I don't like it. My finances are too insecure. Their software being pirated is not my problem. My income is.
Have you considered that using these oddball programs that you do is part of the reason you're having troubles with your income in the creative arts? Teeny bit of chicken and the egg problem?

Quote:
We all cannot depend on having a job a year from now. And, if unemployed, use the old version to make a demo reel for work.
You're a bit of an odd duck. The car replaced the horse and buggy many moons ago. For the most part, the horse industry vanished. Did no one find jobs in the automobile industry? Perhaps not horse shoe fitters, but the world adapts and the efficiencies these new technologies make a lot of people's lives better.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #33
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
yeah i use some old software too, but also consider.. i was paying adobe for story
they took down story and now it's not available even though i was giving them free money

Why did they take it down? makes no sense if they could just collect money and not support the software.
Of course browser based software is a lot more prone to becoming outdated and needed support than os based
Dreamweaver CS4 is on disk and not the cloud. It's still on my computer and not going anywhere. Works better on the newer Windows 8 desktop than the old Windows Vista laptop thanks to updated hardware. It's the way I buy Photoshop and Premiere Elements for new computers--on disk.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 AM   #34
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

I am hoping in the future, Adobe comes out with more perpetual license software options to hang onto long time customers. And, also some more affordable options.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #35
jj4vr
Basic Member

Well I was a huge fan of the model when it first came out. It allowed me to use all their stuff and really got me started for a low price. I couldn't afford the thousands of dollars it took to get PP, Audition, Photoshop, After effects etc...so it worked well for me. Once I signed up, I found Adobe Story, Speedgrade (when they introduced it) and Muse.

Well... they stopped supporting Speedgrade...
Then Story....
Now Muse....

So I had to start finding replacements for stuff...and now I am settling into using Davinci Resolve for Editing/Compositing/Coloring and we'll see how basic Audio work goes. And at this point, my subscription is done. Such a shame really because I really did like the Adobe products.
jj4vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #36
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4vr View Post
Well I was a huge fan of the model when it first came out. It allowed me to use all their stuff and really got me started for a low price. I couldn't afford the thousands of dollars it took to get PP, Audition, Photoshop, After effects etc...so it worked well for me. Once I signed up, I found Adobe Story, Speedgrade (when they introduced it) and Muse.

Well... they stopped supporting Speedgrade...
Then Story....
Now Muse....

So I had to start finding replacements for stuff...and now I am settling into using Davinci Resolve for Editing/Compositing/Coloring and we'll see how basic Audio work goes. And at this point, my subscription is done. Such a shame really because I really did like the Adobe products.
yeah they could have fixed bugs in story and added features.
if people weren't using it thats because adobe developers weren't doing their jobs well enough

and instead of stepping up they stepped down, typical for adobe.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #37
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Upgraded my Maxes a little over 12 months ago. Didnt install any Adobe software for the first time ever.

I use Pro Tools & Media Composer. Was doing a part time course so snagged them at educational prices (perpetual) and now pay a yearly fee to access all upgrades - the best part is the upgrades are much more swift so you get new features much more regularly.

I like Avid’s pricing and models much better than Adobe.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote