Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Computers/Software

Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #16
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

But you said you were fine with the other software you had. So.... what's the deal??? Get made at Coke when you like Pepsi anyway?
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #17
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

I am fine because the other software is all perpetual license software. A year from now, if I am out of work and cannot afford to pay for a new subscription, I still have my old version software to make something and something is better than nothing.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

So you are set.

And I am set because I like the subscriptions.

To each.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #19
Premiere Member

It, what's good about this is you played the role of the software manufacturer and I played the consumer. Each is looking at this from their own angle.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I am not playing devil's advocate I a consumer i just like this biz model better than u
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
I am not playing devil's advocate I a consumer i just like this biz model better than u
Judging from the number of people jumping ship because they cannot afford the $60 a month, you may not be seeing it from the consumer's angle. I like my business model better for my needs as a consumer with an ify future. With 800,000,000 jobs going to robots by 2030, there's going to be a lot more uncertainty of the future.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I never bought Adobe or ANY software for hundreds of dollars, let alone $700 or whatever. Then came along CC and I signed up. So put me in the column of... the people it works for. When the robots come, we can reassess. Maybe there will be a discount for androids.

PS. You surely are passionate about a software you said you don't need.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #23
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Thing about software some people don't understand.. the second you stop supporting software it begins to die.
So that pay once last forever isn't realistic.. eventually the browsers and OS and software eco system will leave it behind.

I totally get the subscription model, and you can cancel it and pay by month right?
So you don't need to leave it on all the time like a gym membership.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You can buy it monthly yes which works for people on certain projects. Like a photographer that only works on the occasional music video can have Photoshop all year but Premiee when he needs it.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #25
Premiere Member

Well, I am still using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 from around 2012. It's still making updates to my website. People tell me it's a better version than the newer ones. Just could never afford a newer version with other things going on. But, it still works great on a newer computer. Software is always useful as long as the operating system it is on doesn't become outdated.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #26
Kaiborg
Basic Member

Quote:
I bet it cut down on TONS of piracy.
It's funny you say that. Adobe CC was actually cracked within 24 hours after it was launched. https://www.geek.com/apps/subscripti...hours-1559562/

Last edited by Kaiborg; 07-09-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Kaiborg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #27
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

I'm part of a network called videomatties. Its hard to ignore the hundreds of errors and problems other video makers are having with adobe.I have also noticed the shift from people tho other edit programs. Paying 720 a year..... or buy resolve for 300 when it suits me.
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #28
El Director
Basic Member

I left Adobe due to stability. I loved the idea of a subscription, as it meant I could have the latest and greatest, but lately they seem to have been adding more consumer orientated features to their lineup and at the cost of stability. For me, the last reliable version was CS6, so it's been a while.

Three years ago, I migrated to Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools for picture/sound editing and haven't looked back. I use Resolve for grading and Nuke for VFX. Everything plays well together and I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the Adobe days. I have a rock solid and stable editing system now that doesn't crash and though upgrading part of it can be expensive (looking at you, Nuke), I haven't felt a need to upgrade anything in over two years (except Resolve). My computer, software and camera (Ursa Mini 4K) all play great together, so if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna try to fix it.
El Director is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC View Post
Well, I am still using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 from around 2012. It's still making updates to my website. People tell me it's a better version than the newer ones. Just could never afford a newer version with other things going on. But, it still works great on a newer computer. Software is always useful as long as the operating system it is on doesn't become outdated.
yeah i use some old software too, but also consider.. i was paying adobe for story
they took down story and now it's not available even though i was giving them free money

Why did they take it down? makes no sense if they could just collect money and not support the software.
Of course browser based software is a lot more prone to becoming outdated and needed support than os based
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #30
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Quote:
When the robots come, we can reassess. Maybe there will be a discount for androids.

Hi. I'm here for your money.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote