Moving to USA from Sweden

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how to start this, but I'll give it a try. Maybe I should begin with presenting myself. Here we go.

I'm a (just turned) 22 year old guy currently living with my mom and dad (just left my job) in the land of rain, Sweden. As far as filmmaking goes I started to write my first feature screenplay when I was about 16. To this day I've made a handful of shorts and two feature films, all by myself. Right now I'm trying to get the third one going.

The thing is that, from a very young age I've always wanted to move from Sweden, but I really don't know how or where I should start. I've worked for about 2,5 years as an IT technician, just to be able to fund my own movies, but it started to get to me and I just had to leave. It sucked the creativity out of my body. Luckily I have supporting parents and I could save up some money so that I can live without work for a little while.

As you may or may not know, Sweden is not a filmmaking country. Honestly I haven't seen a half decent film since Bergman's era. And that was a while ago. This is what makes it so hard. If you are a filmmaker, painter, photographer or musician in Sweden you are often left alone. There's just no one who cares, and that is very hard when you are trying to make movies, which often is a collaborative medium. My films isn't that bad. I follow my own ideas, trying to make something different. They maybe aren't 100% yet, but I still feel that I have something special and new to give the world. I have gotten some recognition, but nothing that have helped my career in any way. On top of that, it rains 90% of the time and it is always cold (except for about 2-3 weeks in the summer). So, not very optimal for filmmaking. It just feels very unsocial. No sense of community. When I asked the people who works in the film departement in my home town if they have seen any movies lately, they just said "I don't watch movies that often". That's crazy to me, and too common of an answer, even between filmmakers. How can you take criticism from someone who doesn't watch movies?

I should get to the point. My goal is not in any way to move to Hollywood and start working there. I would gladly take any job at all, so that I can afford to live by myself and fund my own movies, just to be able to move to USA, or maybe some other country that has a little bit more sense of community and has creative people living there. As I wrote I don't know how you can help me. Maybe someone have gone through something similar and can share your own story.

Wherever I live, I will still be making movies. But I would help a lot to live in an exciting country that helps to spark new ideas. And to be happy isn't bad either.

Thanks for your time, sometimes it just helps to talk about stuff. I hope to hear some of your thoughts.

I understand your situation, and I would like to offer some insights.

First of all, North America is the land of immigrants, and, while Sweden does have immigrants and refugees, it's not as diverse as the new World. You may have a culture shock, so you should spend some time, perhaps a year, in California before you decide.

Second, you're young, and many young people do immigrate, because they want something new. I wanted the same thing, and I'm happy that I've done so.

Third, you're still in your early twenties, and your perspective will change over the next five years. So keep your options open. In that regard, I know many people, from Europe and Asia, who come here, love the West Coast, but can't put down roots, so they go home. You may be the same. That said, if you have always wanted to leave, I think that you will leave and stay away - that's what I've noticed of most people.

So the bottom line is to come to California and spend some time, then decide.

Love your screen name. I see you list your real name as the same. Is
your name really the same as the character in "Eraserhead"?

Mogul offers good advice. You do not want to move to Hollywood so try
Austin or Atlanta. Lots of movies being made there. Just do it!

I understand your situation, and I would like to offer some insights.

First of all, North America is the land of immigrants, and, while Sweden does have immigrants and refugees, it's not as diverse as the new World. You may have a culture shock, so you should spend some time, perhaps a year, in California before you decide.

Second, you're young, and many young people do immigrate, because they want something new. I wanted the same thing, and I'm happy that I've done so.

Third, you're still in your early twenties, and your perspective will change over the next five years. So keep your options open. In that regard, I know many people, from Europe and Asia, who come here, love the West Coast, but can't put down roots, so they go home. You may be the same. That said, if you have always wanted to leave, I think that you will leave and stay away - that's what I've noticed of most people.

So the bottom line is to come to California and spend some time, then decide.

I spent a couple of weeks in California this spring, and I loved it. The hard part is not deciding when to do it, but how. It's really hard to get a job in USA, it seems.

Love your screen name. I see you list your real name as the same. Is
your name really the same as the character in "Eraserhead"?

Mogul offers good advice. You do not want to move to Hollywood so try
Austin or Atlanta. Lots of movies being made there. Just do it!

One of my favourite films. It actually isn't, maybe I should change it to my real name?
Both places seems nice. I've heard a lot of good things about Austin. As I wrote to mogul, the hard part isn't deciding when I'm going to go but how to do it.

You should speak to an American immigration lawyer about working on a student worker's visa. I understand that is allowed, but I don't know how that is done.

Bring a million dollar with a plan to start a business to employ 10 Americans and you can buy yourself a green card. There is also a green cards lotery, but the name says it: it's pure chance.
There is also a list of occupations that have a bigger chance to get a green card.
For example a video producer is ranked higher than editor.

I looked into it a few years ago.
Things might have changed by now.
Google green card and fing the right .gov website :)

First of all, North America is the land of immigrants, and, while Sweden does have immigrants and refugees, it's not as diverse as the new World..........

That makes me wonder how many 'nationalities' you will find there.
I was in California and wasn't shocked at all.
But I'm from a town near Rotterdam (a top 5 city in the Lonely Planet :P ), a city with people from 174 different countries.

You should speak to an American immigration lawyer about working on a student worker's visa. I understand that is allowed, but I don't know how that is done.

What I've heard is that you're only allowed to work on the college/university that you're attending. I can be wrong, but I'm not planning to study anyway.

Back