• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mythical creatures like Hydra?

This is my first post on these forums, here goes..

I'm looking to make a short action scene, which is primarily a glorified vfx test. This scene will be short, no more than 5 minutes. However, I don't want it to be just an endless stream of gunfire with no plot or backstory whatsoever.

My experiences have taught me that it is indeed possible to make short action scenes that are bloated with visual effects, but are still intriguing to watch because of a mini-plot they have. Examples of such can be seen here and here

So far, I've crafted the following scenario for my short action scene:

The scene is utilizing the concept of Hydra. A mythical snake with multiple heads. The interesting thing about Hydra (and what forms the crux of the scene) is that it was theoretically immortal. When you cut off one of the snake heads, two more grow in its place.

More info on Hydra can be found here.

There are two men in the scene, one is a snakeslayer and the other is the human representation of the Hydra. For the sake of easy reference, the actor playing the snakeslayer is Charles and the Hydra is played by Gordon.

Whenever Charles kills Gordon via gunfire, 2 more embodiments of Gordon magically appear around the corpse. This continues, in a constant - 1, +2, -1, +2 algorithmic fashion.

VFX that will be used extensively:

Gunfire (muzzle flares, distortion, light, motion tracked shells, etc.)
Cloning (through the use of excessive masking and rotoscoping)
Magical portals (through the use of colored particles)

What I need help with

Please share your ideas on other mythical creatures that have interesting stipulations, like the Hydra (cut off one head, two more grow in its place).

What would be a good way to end the aforementioned scene with Charles victorious? I haven't written this part yet, all I know is that Charles and Gordon will have a massive shootout for a few minutes. At the end of which, there will be dozens of embodiments of Gordon.

I believe the thing you should worry about is getting it to look like 'charles' is actually fighting a monster. I'm assuming your looking to use the on set 'gordon' to represent the Hydra, but ofcourse the hydra is very different from a human.

It moves different, slides and curves, it has alot of vertical movements aswell, which allow for nice camera angles. It can attack from several different angles, and be a threat at multiple places at the same time, bite your leg and kick in your face. Getting the actor to act this right is going to be very tricky, and I would suggest previsualising the entire scene in cg, and extensively rehearsing.

You will need the CG elements (models, textures, shaders, rigs) before shooting anyway... Most people here seem to consider cg and vfx 100% post production but there is alot that can (or sometimes even has to be ) done in preproduction. You can ofcourse finalize all the bits and pieces in post, but having the exact size, scale, movement constraints, etc nailed down can make your shoot alot easier, and save you a ton of headaches in post.

Although, it must be said... I think this would be a very, very good exercise for anyone learning to direct fights with cg elements. I wish you the best of luck and I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, Santhem. I realize now I should have made something clear, which I forgot to mention in the opening post.

Gordon is not trying to emulate the Hydra in a sense that he his a humanoid-snake. I had no intention of twisting, slithering, and other snake-like attributes. Gordon, for the most part, is entirely human.

To put this into perspective, imagine this as a generic shootout/duel that is seen in your standard Hollywood action movie. 2 men, shooting at each other, and that's it.

The only thing different in this scene is that when Gordon dies, the antagonist is not defeated. He just resurrects in two hosts.

I'm using the Hydra reference not as a creature... but more so a concept. The only allusions to Hydra in this scene will be the resurrection of Gordon upon his death, there will be no snake-like movement or anything.

While I do think your idea is great, it could be a tad bit overwhelming to me. I just began learning on how to integrate 3d with live action. I barely know my way around blender, so I'd be biting off more than I could chew if I attempted to have excessive 3d elements. Regardless, it's quite a good idea and definitely something I'll attempt in the future. Thanks for presenting it.

The concept sounds interesting. I don't know if you intend to have Gordon be killed the same why the Hydra in myth was defeated but you could have Charles realise he has to actually get in close to Gordon in order to overcome him - whether you decide to use fire as the weapon that ultimately kills him is of course up to you.

What came to mind was a theme of "sometimes long range weapons aren't the best bet, sometimes you have to get in close and fight one on one".

Back