"Found Footage" style of filmmaking -- gimmick?

Or is it legit? I was heavily-swayed today, in the direction of saying that it is a legitimate style of filmmaking. Previously, it's only been used, in my opinion, to save money on production costs (which is a legit reason, in and of itself).

In "Chronicle", however, I don't see how it could've possibly saved money. On the contrary, it probably added to the production costs. So why in the world would they use it? I wondered about this for a while, after the movie, and I think it actually helps add a real sense of authenticity. These characters felt real, and I think the fake-documentary approach aided in achieving that?

Your thoughts? Agree/disagree? Of course it helps if you've seen "Chronicle", but it's not necessary to comment on the style, in general.

Almost forgot to mention -- I loved the movie. The review I posted on FB:

This movie is great in so many ways! It is easily the best movie ever made in the Blair-Witchian style of "found footage", and proves that that style of filmmaking is legit, not just a gimmick.

"Chronicle" achieves a level of intimacy, familiarity and authenticity so rarely seen in a Hollywood movie, let alone a Superhero Movie. The build-up keeps us emotionally-engaged, and the climactic finale pays off. And if those aren't enough superlatives, I think I can say that the argument could be made that this is the best Superhero Origin Story ever made.

Remember that scene in "Superman 2", when Superman squares off against General Zod, in downtown Metropolis? Imagine that scene on steroids. Solid "A"!

I can comment! I saw Chronicle yesterday. I remember seeing the trailer and going 'well that looks like shit', but my friend wanted to see it so I went. It. Was. Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The camera thing only added to it I think. It almost made me feel like I was right there with them, as lame as that sounds.

So yeah, that's my two cents.

I can comment! I saw Chronicle yesterday. I remember seeing the trailer and going 'well that looks like shit', but my friend wanted to see it so I went. It. Was. Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The camera thing only added to it I think. It almost made me feel like I was right there with them, as lame as that sounds.

So yeah, that's my two cents.

Well, hello there! Fancy seeing you around these parts. :)

Yep, I think we're on the same page -- when you say it almost made you "feel like you were right there with them", I think that echoes what I said earlier, about "intamacy, familiarity and authenticity". To me, it just felt more "real", and I think the "found-footage" method was a large part of that.

Well, hello there! Fancy seeing you around these parts. :)

Yep, I think we're on the same page -- when you say it almost made you "feel like you were right there with them", I think that echoes what I said earlier, about "intamacy, familiarity and authenticity". To me, it just felt more "real", and I think the "found-footage" method was a large part of that.

What up :D

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It wouldn't have been the same if it had been shot 'conventionally'.

Back