Scenes that require a Kiss

What is the protocol when you have to do a kiss scene? I met an actress who applied for a romantic role only to tell me that she doesn't do kiss scenes because of her beliefs. Not even FAKE kissing scenes where you play with the angles to make it appear like they kissed. I thought a kiss scene was obvious because of the role being the love interest. This only happened once with me, but for future reference I would like to know if there is a protocol for letting someone know that the role requires kissing (I know for nudity it is required to state it in a casting call). What about Herpes? Do they have to take a physical beforehand? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Camera angles can make it look like you are kissing? I need to learn how to do that. xD But more than likely after you have chosen the actor or actress you explain to them all the difficulties that they will have to do throughout the film. Most times they have no problem with them.

It can indeed happen where an actor or actress does not want to be part of a scene, even if it is simulated. This is simple. You do not consider them, and you move on.

If you are committed to her, you may be able to get a stunt kisser - someone who has similar hair. You can have that person stand in for her and shoot her from behind, while kissing. Get closeups of the stunt kisser's hands on the guy's back. You could even shoot it in shadows, hiding the faces, but obvious what is happening.

If she has a problem with the depiction of that, you may have to drop the kiss scene. If the scene is important to you, perhaps another actress.

Last edited:
Find someone else for the role unless you are sure you can do without that scene.
Sounds like she won't even want a 'stunt-kisser' do that part, because on screen it will still seem to be her.
But I could be wrong.

If she is really good, at least offer her another role in the movie.

But more than likely after you have chosen the actor or actress you explain to them all the difficulties that they will have to do throughout the film. Most times they have no problem with them.

False. People have comfort levels. Conditions of the role that include intimate/sexual portrayals need to be clear up front. Having that conversation after the fact (after casting) is bait-and-switch at best. Pressuring an actor into territory in which they’re uncomfortable is a bad idea.

In the OP’s case this seems to be due to religious beliefs, which is something folks won’t always compromise.

Either way, ditch the scene or re-cast the role. Whichever is more important to the end product.

I'm wit AA. These things not to be clear upfront: it saves everyone time if you don't waste it on an actor/actress who won't play the part.
It is like buying or renting a car: first you determine what you'll use it for, then make a selection based on these criteria. Otherwise you end up with a Mini Cooper while you actually want to transport furniture.

It seems no one has actually answered (also guilty here). He wants to know if there is a way to convey this upfront so this does not happen again (time management). He said "romatic" but did not mention kiss in the casting call.

Also he asked about potential kissing diseases and how to handle.

:)

What is the protocol when you have to do a kiss scene? I met an actress who applied for a romantic role only to tell me that she doesn't do kiss scenes because of her beliefs.
The protocol is to not hire that actor.
I thought a kiss scene was obvious because of the role being the love interest. This only happened once with me, but for future reference I would like to know if there is a protocol for letting someone know that the role requires kissing (I know for nudity it is required to state it in a casting call).
Good that you learned an important lesson. Never think something
is obvious to everyone. The protocol for letting someone know that
the role requires kissing is to tell them the roll requires kissing. Don't
spring this on anyone after they have been cast.

Is this the same actor who you said has no on-screen chemistry with
you? The same one that insulted your directing method? And now
she doesn't want to kiss you? Or is this a different actor?

This reminds me of a time where I was working on a series and an intimate scene was written in. It was going to be implied but not actually shown. It got to a point where the director joked that it was for the views. The actress got upset and dropped out mid series. The story was being written as we went along so we didn't foresee having to tell the actress well ahead of time. Needless to say she felt like she was being sexually harrassed because of the kissing scenes throughout done prior. Not insane but more like pecks on the lips. The ironic part was that she had a child with her husband not long after dropping. The whole thing was handled wrongly so it was something that was learned. Don't use your position to get away with certain things.

As for your situation, as said, look for another actress. Certain roles are not for everyone. Thank the person for considering the role and move to the next.

The protocol is to not hire that actor.

Good that you learned an important lesson. Never think something
is obvious to everyone. The protocol for letting someone know that
the role requires kissing is to tell them the roll requires kissing. Don't
spring this on anyone after they have been cast.

Is this the same actor who you said has no on-screen chemistry with
you? The same one that insulted your directing method? And now
she doesn't want to kiss you? Or is this a different actor?

Yep same actress. The Distribution company that we plan to sell the film to seeks more family friendly material so it would be like a pop kiss and distant shot instead of a close-up or medium. She wasn't up for it. When I implied that at that distance we can play with the angles and we wouldn't actually have to do it she said that she doesn't see her character doing that anyways. Not a problem, got rid of that part of the scene. I put up with her, and showing up late, and questioning a lot of stuff. But in the end I did end up replacing her with a friend of mine, as my Executive Producer and Sound Producer felt it was best as well.

But we shot a whole day with her before replacing her, and that was definitely not productive. I still have more for the film to shoot, and a few commercials that a meal prep company wants me to do. So if something like this comes up again I would like to handle it without problems.

It seems everyone is saying the same advice that I should mention something like that ahead of time. Will definitely do that. Thanks for the feedback.

Back