• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will audiences loose sympathy for the villain in this case?

In my script the villain and his gang are going around committing crimes, but they are moralists in a way, who have rules, doing to for a righteous cause. They are trying to get justice on a system that screwed them over type deal, so I want the audience to feel sympathy for them.

The main villain character is also very morally conflicted in what he's doing. In the end, I thought of writing it so that he ends up turning against his gang and goes to the police with everything, to redeem himself. However will audiences see this as the villain turning good? Or will they just look at him as a hypocrite to his cause and he has abandoned his comrads and turned them in, just to get more leniency from the justice system? He is a traitor, to the cause that we were empathizing with. Will the audience look at it as redemption (which I want), or will they look at it as hypocrisy? When it comes to sympathetic villains turning good, it seems there is a fine line.

There is also another scene early on where one of his fellow gang members gets captured by the cops as they are trying to get away. He decides to keep running and thinks it would be best to get away, and then deal with his fellow gang member being captured, later. Will the audience see that as a live today and fight tomorrow sort of thing, or will they just see him as a coward, for not going back to help?

Last edited:
Whatever you think works best. And remember, it's okay to be morally ambitious or open ended. I think it's fine either way you go, but choose what satisfies you. It could be effective if the character joins the system he once despised, yet he feels empty.

Back