• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does scripts need to be copyright?

If you have written a script, does that make you an automatic copyright holder? If not then is it necessary for a writer to have his scripts (short or feature) to be copyrighted or is that pointless? I'm thinking of uploading my scripts onto Script Boutique and it asks if I am a copyright holder you see.

Thanks

You're right, you're automatically the copyright holder, however proving that is a lot harder than you'd think, hence why registration of copyright may be a good idea, especially if your script has any financial merit or someone who may want to borrow or steal is (or bits of it).

I think this copyright is just for your own psychological calm, or if someone takes your script unchanged and tries to sell it as his own. And I don't think a random screenwriter will be that stupid.
If someone wants to steal your idea, he will do it. He will of course change the setting of the story and rename your characters. And then no copyright will help you.

If you have written a script, does that make you an automatic copyright holder? If not then is it necessary for a writer to have his scripts (short or feature) to be copyrighted or is that pointless? I'm thinking of uploading my scripts onto Script Boutique and it asks if I am a copyright holder you see.

Thanks

Simply go to Writers Guild of America, West www.wga.org and register it there for a small fee.

That is the best way to protect your film concept.

Back