Panasonic AG-DVX100a

Hey all-

I'm a total newbie when it comes to purchasing cameras.

A little background- I came across the Panasonic AG-DVX100a in an advertisement in the L.A. Times, used and on sale for $900. It seems to have a lot of good reviews, and it's right in my price range.

So...

- Has anybody had any experience with the retailer Bel Air?
- Has anybody had personal experience with this camera, or heard anything good/bad about it?
- Does anybody know of a better camera in the same price range (preferably under $1,000)?
- I don't care about how scratched up the camera looks- does the camera being used have any implications on the image quality itself?

Any other knowledge you might have that would steer me towards the best fitting camera is greatly appreciated. Again, I'm a noob, so feel free to make fun of me for any poor camera knowledge. I'm here to learn.

Thanks for the time and any help!

Hey all-

I'm a total newbie when it comes to purchasing cameras.

A little background- I came across the Panasonic AG-DVX100a in an advertisement in the L.A. Times, used and on sale for $900. It seems to have a lot of good reviews, and it's right in my price range.

So...

- Has anybody had any experience with the retailer Bel Air?
- Has anybody had personal experience with this camera, or heard anything good/bad about it?
- Does anybody know of a better camera in the same price range (preferably under $1,000)?
- I don't care about how scratched up the camera looks- does the camera being used have any implications on the image quality itself?

Any other knowledge you might have that would steer me towards the best fitting camera is greatly appreciated. Again, I'm a noob, so feel free to make fun of me for any poor camera knowledge. I'm here to learn.

Thanks for the time and any help!

What do you intend to use the camera for? The DVX100a was a great camera, but it's old. It'd be hard to recommend shelling out almost a grand on an SD camera at this point.

The DVX100A was the workhorse of the DV indie world for quite awhile. We made every movie before last year with a team of DVX100 owner/operators. It will shoot 24p and has full manual controls making it a great filmmaker's tool. But everyone went HD, and it seems once you go HD you never look back.

That said, every cameraman I deal with who owned the DVX100 and upgraded to various flavors of HD (including the Canon 7D, and the Panasonic GH2) refused to sell/trade their DVX100 when upgrading. They love their cameras and will hang on to them forever.

It's worth every penny of $900, but your results will only ever be standard definition.

What do you intend to use the camera for? The DVX100a was a great camera, but it's old. It'd be hard to recommend shelling out almost a grand on an SD camera at this point.

It'd be used for short films. I don't anticipate extreme weather conditions or much shooting in the dark.

Is there something newer that's around the same price range, used?

I appreciate the advice, thanks again.

Back