• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How many pages has a short movie?

For beginners, it’s an excellent idea to write short movies. But when is a movie a short movie? How many minutes is the movie long? Or how many pages have the script of a short movie?

Yeah it's not a comedy for the record.
Comedy is the hardest thing to pull off but I've been working on a legit comedy thriller and I'm pleased to say 100% of the jokes landed. All the comedy parts have been filmed and theyre all funny which is a huge relief.

Funny because I just talked about charade in another thread, one of my favorite movies that is also a comedy thriller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6kVibYIpmU

Didn't mean to derail this thread just trying to give an example about short film page length.
I seemed to have helped future out since now she wants a 10 minute short film.

For beginners, it’s an excellent idea to write short movies. But when is a movie a short movie? How many minutes is the movie long? Or how many pages have the script of a short movie?

Polanski's couple of earlier short films was just 2 minutes long. Lucas made a 3 minute short movie. Short films can be anywhere between 2 to 40 minutes. Most of the times, fiction short films are 20 minutes or less. The ones that falls between 30 to 40 minutes are mostly documentaries. As usual, there are always some exceptions.

If the fiction short film is 15 minutes or less, it has a good chance of getting into the festival (assuming the film is decent) than the longer short.

Perspective:

Hi! My band wants to make a record with 7 songs. Is this an EP, or an LP? WHO CARES! Make the record. Done. Forget labels. Get shit done and stop procrastinating and creating barriers.

Future - Okay, maybe it's not "Citizen Kane," maybe it's a mediocre film, but at least it's a completed film. I have yet to see one completed script from you, much less a completed film from you.

You're so worried about doing it "right" that you never do it at all. Life is all about failure; if you don't fail, you don't learn. In professional baseball here in the US if a batter "fails" less than 30% of the time he's a candidate for the hall of fame. Lou Gehrig, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, has a lifetime batting average of .340, which means he failed 66% of the time at the plate.

I spent a very long part of my career as a working musician. I also wanted to be a song writer. I wrote dozens. Two or three were good, not great, just good. But at least I put myself out there and actually wrote this dozens of bad songs.

Get off your ass, start carping and procrastinating and actually accomplish something.

It's time to put up or shut up.

Back