Film4

Hi guys,

I'm fairly close to finishing up one of my scripts and would love to submit it to Film4. I've been a fan of theirs for a while now and would love to work with them. Has anybody submitted work to them before?
It does mention this on their website:
'If you are a writer and/or director, you will need to find a recognised agent to submit your script on your behalf'
Which I understand, they probably get ALOT of scripts submitted but they also mention this:
'we do make a small number of short films each year as director development with talent that we have identified, or in connection to a feature film project'
How would I get myself 'recognised' as a director/screenwriter? Do I approach them with a few ideas and want to be a part of this 'director development' or do I work on a few things of my own (film it myself and submit to a indie website) and hope for the best that they see my work?

I'm filming a few comedy sketches as the moment but apart from that, I haven't done any filming. Is Film4 too big a company to start off with? Tell me if I'm being a bit of a dreamer :lol:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably too big for a lot of people on this forum if that makes you feel any better. You mention that you haven't done much filming. I think in the short term you should focus on doing just that. Shoot a lot. Film 2 page scripts. Film your friends/family/significant other. Take a scene from your favorite movie and recreate it. Get familiar with building a scene and cutting it together. Make mistakes. Make a movie that's so bad you wouldn't want to show it to anyone. You'll learn from it and the more you learn the closer you'll be to working with Film4 and anyone of that caliber.

For screenwriting, read hundreds and hundreds of scripts. And when you get so sick of reading scripts read a thousand more. You'll really learn and grow as a screenwriter from doing this. Enter small screenplay contests at film festivals. I have a friend who is a screenwriter and they won an award at one of these. It wasn't much (1,000 and some free screenplay software) but it helped him meet other people at the festival and got his name out there.

Start today: if you don't have one already, borrow a camera and walk around and film stuff. Learn to properly expose. Go home, edit it, throw it up on youtube.

"Yes" is not a terribly helpful answer, because it comes with a number of caveats and requires a lot of context.

99.9% of unsolicited approaches Film4 get will be knocked straight back. So, in that sense, the answer is always going to be "Yes", for pretty much anyone. And I'm sure that 99.9% of scripts that come through agents get knocked backed too.

The key with this sort of thing – and take this with a pinch of salt, given I've never sold a script to anyone – is to ensure that people at Film4 know you before the script gets handed to them. So, yes, this means making some reputation for yourself as a filmmaker, but it could also be as simple as checking out any events Film4 are running, meeting people introducing yourself, asking to grab a drink with them, going to festivals where people are repping their films...etc. This tactic will not only give you a better shot ONCE you submit your script, but these are the people who are best placed to give you advice on how and when to do so.

And don't put your eggs in one basket – Film4 is great, but make sure you have Plans B through Z prepared too.

Thanks guys! Very helpful. I think Film4 is where I possibly want to be at the end of it all as apposed to where I want to be now. I really like the thought of recreating a scene from a film. That'll help alot and it'll be awesome to do! I'll get filming.

Thanks again :)

Back