New Bentley Ad Shot entirely on iPhone 5S and looks damn good

So, what exactly was used? According to AppleInsider, two iPhone 5s’ were mounted onto $75 BeastGrip lens adaptors that allowed them to use threaded lenses, including the $38 Neewer 0.3X Baby Death 37mm Fisheye Lens, as well as a Schneider iPro lens, which you can buy in a kit for $230. Oh! I almost forgot — they also used one of Freefly’s $5,000 MōVI M5 gimbal stabilizers for all of those beautiful handheld shots. As far as software goes, the “fast and dirty” edits were made using iMovie, while the $5 FilMic Pro was used to offer more control over their cameras — it’s kind of like the Camera+ for video.

The ad is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYhM0XIIwU

Find the original article with more detail here:

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/new-ad-for-bentley-shot-on-iphone-5s/

Intresting. It does prove that the camera isn't the key component for a good movie. If they didn't slap on the 5k movi rig it would have also proven that you can make a good looking movie on a low budget, but they did miss that opportunity.

Given the fact that they did appearantly have budget (I mean, it is bentley after all, these guys should have budget) they could'v used something more sophisticated than an Iphone. Especially the interior shots could have used some more dynamic range, too much crushed blacks for my taste. Still good though, I wouldn't have guessed it was shot on Iphone till they showed it.

Question.

Did they crop the image? All the iPhone videos my friends post (vertically, *sigh*) on Facebook are really tall/wide. I am curious if there is a setting on the iPhone that changes the aspect ratio, or weather you crop in post. Thanks.

Question.

Did they crop the image? All the iPhone videos my friends post (vertically, *sigh*) on Facebook are really tall/wide. I am curious if there is a setting on the iPhone that changes the aspect ratio, or weather you crop in post. Thanks.

You just have to shoot with it sideways

Doesn't look too dissimilar to some DSLRs. You could easily get similar results with a DSLR and a Movi rig. Making it black and white also helps hide exposure issues (IMO).

To me, it just proves even more that it's about the person behind the camera, not the camera itself.

It seems more an iPhone commercial than Bentley commercial to me but whatever..

The iPhone is just the viral 'hook'. Very few people can ever realistically dream of owning a Bentley, so a video extolling the virtues of the car isn't likely to drum up a lot of views. Lots of people do own iPhones though, and often due to the very same concept the video is promoting - the integration of design and technology. They could have shot the video with high-end equipment but then it would have just been a Bentley commercial with little appeal to everyday people - now it's the Bentley commercial shot with the same phone you probably have in your pocket.

For a video to go viral people have to share it; one of the key reasons people share stuff is because of the way things they share reflect upon them. If you can tie your aspirational product or brand to an accessible one then it encourages that kind of sharing.

I'd say the integration of the iPads into the cars and the use of the phone to shoot it also hits on the 'you can't buy a better coke' theme. The rich can buy a better car than you can (a Bentley, for instance), but no matter how much money they've got they can't buy a better iPhone or iPad for their car. If you can see yourself using your iPad in the back of any car - there's a good chance you've actually done so - then maybe you can see yourself using one in the back of your Bentley, someday.

That's also why it makes sense for Bentley - the iPhone itself is an aspirational brand, although one that's actually within reach of a lot of people. McDonalds is an accessible brand, but showing people eating McDonalds in the back of their Bentley's only serves to cheapen the Bentley brand. The iPhone/iPad association is one of the few widely accessible products I can think of currently that can play the kind of role they're using it for here.

You just have to shoot with it sideways

Lol. Yeah, I know. I was referring to the aspect ratio in the Bentley Ad. It doesn't look like the same aspect ratio as my friends iPhone videos.

2ii7urq.jpg

It could just be my eyes. I am getting rather old.

Pretty nice. I am curious abut the choice to go with black and white. Does the iPhone not do well with color, thus, they decided to try to cover that up. Nevertheless, it's a good looking video.

Back