How do I deal with an egomaniac Producer/Main Actress?

I recently signed on to direct 2 episodes of a web series for a local producer/actress. There were several red flags right off the bat...

• Script Format issues (ie. Scenes were labeled as EXT but read "Actor walks inside..... etc." Things like that throughout. Made no sense.)[/LIST}

• Didn't have a schedule (When asked she literally said "I thought you were doing that")

• Didn't know how to do call sheets or understood the importance of one

• No 1st AD or much of a production crew at all

• Could go on...

Every industry friend told me not to work on it, but it did have things that made me want to attempt it for my reel and career development.

• Pro actor with 20+ years experience

• Great local DP

• a subject matter I have been wanting to tackle

• overall more directing experience under my belt.

So, I went ahead and did most preproduction, showed her how to do certain things, while still doing my script/character/story analysis and shot lists with the dp.

Well, the shoot was stressful, but we really made some magic happen. I designed and blocked shots and really pulled some great performances out of certain actors, and was complimented all around throughout by the cast and crew. In fact, I was approached by everyone at the end of the shoot and was personally thanked for my professionalism and creativity. It was a great experience, until the producer/main actress sends me an email filled with personal attacks against how I ran the set. (for example, it was mentioned in the letter that she felt incredibly disrespected on set because I said "We have to move on whether we have it or not" while trying to get a safety of a shot so the camera op can land a focus mark. Or, I was told by the producer that we needed to move along quicker so I designed shots that didn't need a lot of coverage, then she demands we get closeups of her face that were not necessary to have and took an additional 45 minutes to relight... things like that) All of this happened with a low/no pay crew working up to 20 hours each day because the schedule was improperly made and finalized by the producer.

The only other thing I have to mention is I learned long ago that nobody should have an ego on set. I made sure every one on set knew we didn't have time for egos. For example, I don't know how many other directors would actually hold a light for his DP/Cam Op to save them from having to go get a c-stand and save time to get the shot finished before moving on. However, I was accused of being the only one on set with an ego based on her letter.

Long story short (too late....I know), now this producer is withholding footage from me for my reel and moving on shooting additional elements without involving me, not allowing me to be included in the post production process, didn't add me to the IMDB page as director, and will mention everyone else in the crew except for me on any posts about the project.

As a creative person who really busted my ass to make these two episides leap years better than the first (which was made as a 48hour fest submission and quite poorly put together... what for yourself here, feel free to comment on the video. I had nothing to do with it, but I think it could use some constructive critism intended to thicken skin.) I took it quite personally and am seriously upset over the whole thing. I honestly believe I created some of the best visual story teling of my career and am being blocked away because the producer is holding a personal grudge based on common set lingo used all the time, especially in an incredibly rushed situation with I as director had to step up and become 1st AD at the same time just to have something watchable and not miss sunlight on the next setup. Ultimately, I feel it hurts the overal project and takes away the greatness it could have been. What's best for the project should always come first in my opinion.

What would you do, or what advice do you have for me to move past this in a positive manner? It wouldn't be such a confusing issue for me if I didn't know that the whole crew, which were about 1/3 professionals and 2/3 newbies, said I was the best director they've worked with in town... it really seems like a complete power hungry move from somebody who doesn't want to admit that they don't know what they are doing. I know I shouldn't have taken the gig, but then I wouldn't have created some great stuff and met some great people. All I want is footage for my reel and be done with this "producer".

What would you do in my situation?

What does your contract say?

This is also part of the problem. The only thing signed was a nondisclosure agreement. Nobody was oriented with a contract or one even mentioned. One would think on a "pro" shoot one would be signed before stepping on set, but I was under the guise of helping out a fellow film maker who was trying to make pro material by hiring pros. So, contracts were not presented to anyone. I don't really care about getting paid as I do about trying to just have the credit and footage. I have tons of emails that state clear as day from her what my role would be (directing and editing) and a negotiated rate for the two episodes.

Before its even said, I know now not to work unless contracts are presented. Should I just figure to be SOL or should I pursue against the producer to get my footage, which she is giving as reel footage for every actor so it seems not to be an unreasonable request from me.

You're probably SOL..

I mean, I suppose in theory you could take her to small claims court, as it sounds like you have evidence to back up their failure to uphold their end of the deal, especially as the compensation you're seeking costs them nothing.

But even in the event you did that, and a ruling is in your favor, there's really nothing forcing them to cough up the goods. As much as it sucks, your best bet is probably to just move on and forget it ever happened. Karma will bite them in the ass eventually, and you'll save yourself a lot of stress and headache trying to deal with it any further.

I don't understand how someone can withhold footage from you. You and your DP have nothing, it's all gone to her ?

Can't you just credit yourself as the director when you present your future work, regardless of what the actual credits say (though I don't think the sentence "I was not credited because of a bitchy producer" will sound good to other producers).

Anyway, on the 4 reasons you listed for working on this, you achieved all four :

You DID work with 20y+ experienced actor.

You DID work a great local DP (and probably made a good friend of him, or enough to work with him again).

You DID tackle the subject and you DID gain a lot of experience.

So the way I see directing and art in general, you already WON. Start a new project asap, maybe work on it with that DP and make it 10 times better.

Ya, that's what I was pretty much thinking. I'll have to chock if up to a learning experience and run away when the red flags are presented. It was more of an opportunity for myself to further my created talent and practice what I've learned on previous shoots to get to this point. Just another notch in the belt.

Thanks for the info.

I don't understand how someone can withhold footage from you. You and your DP have nothing, it's all gone to her ?

Can't you just credit yourself as the director when you present your future work, regardless of what the actual credits say (though I don't think the sentence "I was not credited because of a bitchy producer" will sound good to other producers).

Anyway, on the 4 reasons you listed for working on this, you achieved all four :

You DID work with 20y+ experienced actor.

You DID work a great local DP (and probably made a good friend of him, or enough to work with him again).

You DID tackle the subject and you DID gain a lot of experience.

So the way I see directing and art in general, you already WON. Start a new project asap, maybe work on it with that DP and make it 10 times better.

What a great, positive way to think about it. Thank you very much.

The dp does have all the footage, except for any audio. So if i cut it together, if would be poor audio, which I'm not really excited about. I was supposed to edit, but she refused to give me the hard drive after the shoot and refused to give me the contact info of the guy who dumped the footage onto backups. But it would be better than nothing.

If you are the editor, why don't you already have what you need for your reel?

Please refer to the previous response. The producer refused to give me the hard drive with all the footage, even to check dailies or schedule pickups needed. She also refused to give me the the contact info for the DIT guy. She has everything kept away from my hands intentionally. Trust me, it confuses every other crew member, too, about why such a power play was put forth without even seeing the end result.

If you can't get the sound guy, can't you wait for the film to be released, rip it, use its sound and edit it with the DP's footage ?

Yes, I suppose that is something I could do. If it's ever finished, that is. This producer has no idea what she's doing or how to get things done in a professional manner. I'd be surprised if it's ever finished within her low budget.

sounds like you made friends with the right people. Someone who seems to be on her good side could probably just get you what you need, then sorta leave it lying about for a while.. don't do a big blame campaign, be the cool one, laugh it off, etc, but get some of the edited footage for your trouble.

or just beg. That works with these types too you know.. beg, get what you want, and then move on..

As others have mentioned, get footage directly from the DP. Or if you're no longer the editor, find out who will be the editor. Same with sound - you can probably get the sound files from your sound mixer.

Go down to your local fish market, buy the biggest cod you can get your hands on, and then slap the actress and the producer a couple hundred times. That video was utter rubbish and the sound would be less murky under water.

Go down to your local fish market, buy the biggest cod you can get your hands on, and then slap the actress and the producer a couple hundred times. That video was utter rubbish and the sound would be less murky under water.

haha. I really hope you posted that on the actual youtube page. The footage I made blows any of that out of the water by a long shot, that's why I make sure to tell people I had absolutely nothing to do with that video. But, the problem is that everyone kisses her ass and tells her how great they think it is and all other bs. I was the first person to creatively tell her no and she freaked out.

I ended up talking to her last week. She never even looked at the footage I made!!! She got all pissy about stupid, petty shit that happens on most sets, (nothing even bad, just me saying "We don't need an extra close up of your face because the crew has been working for peanuts for the past 15 hours on day 2") and decided to take me off the project based on her ego without even once seeing how superior the footage I directed for her was in comparison to everything else she's ever done.

(I know I'm speaking pretty highly of myself, but my work really is Hitchcock COMPARED to this drivel...... although I would never compare myself to Hitchcock in a normal sense.)

Back