M.o.Mo. Club: "Chinatown"

Welcome to the Movie of the Month Club. This month, we discuss the classic crime-noir, "Chinatown". There are no rules regarding what you may discuss. It is strongly recommended, however, that you view the movie, and post comments, through the eyes of a filmmaker. What do you think works, and what do you think doesn't work?

Non-members are welcome to comment, but are encouraged to do the same as all the members, and watch the movie first; don't just rely on your memory from when you saw it way back when. Official membership-sign-up happens in this thread.

Watch! And discuss! :D

All I remember is Polanski slitting Nicholson's nostril.

And something about
incest

I'll watch it again...

Last edited:
One of my absolute all-time favorite films. Brilliant script, directing, acting. Own it on DVD; just watched again a month ago. Also have the screenplay.

I adore mysteries that are either set in an historical context or involve an historical element. If you see CRIMPS, you may recognize that very theme in it. Other favorites include The Name of the Rose and LA Confidential.

Chinatown takes its time to allow Gittes to conduct his investigation. There are extended sequences with no music, which emphasizes the tedium of his waiting for someone or something to happen. 2001: A Space Odyssey employed a similar technique to emphasize the monotony of space travel.

Towne used a noirish storytelling style, then drew a parallel to the actual events that resulted in modern day Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley. Mulvahill is clearly inspired by Mulholland, even in name.

Gittes' character is a bumbling private eye, but not an idiot. He just doesn't have the experience to know when he's getting in over his head. The character walks a fine line between hero and buffoon, but never crosses to either side. An amazing balancing act by Towne and Polanski and Nicholson.

Could go on all day...

Last edited:
How are we doing this btw? Do we select a certain date to start talking about it? Say we give everyone the first two weeks of the month to watch it and then the last two to talk about it?

Because whenever we start talking about it, spoilers will flow...

Just wondering what the plan was.

Last edited:
Is there a deadline for when we should have watched and then we begin discussion? Like how book clubs (I assume; I've never belonged to one) have until say next Thursday to read the book and then they meet and discuss?

'Cuz if this thread fills up with discussion and I don't have a chance to re-watch until next week I probably won't follow or be as involved. Just predicting my own behavior here;

awesome story, i have seen it 20 plus times, including at the moma musuem last month for new film conversion... i love the film making techniques of polanski including shooting the movie though the binoculars in one scene, or when he shoots while looking in the cars side mirror while in motion, very unique pespectives... i like the how subtle gittes is in his genius, such as putting a watch under the tire to see what time the perp left, or when he kicks out a headlight to be able to follow the car, genius and not to james bondish which makes it believeable... overall a perfect movie, and the final scene is mesmorizing, the lights of old chinatown are gorgeous

'Cuz if this thread fills up with discussion and I don't have a chance to re-watch until next week I probably won't follow or be as involved. Just predicting my own behavior here;

Good point. I hadn't considered that.

Say we give everyone the first two weeks of the month to talk abt it and then the last two to talk about it?

Because whenever we start talking about it, spoilers will flow...

Good idea. Let's go with that! :)

Official Discussion begins November 16th.

"You're dumber than you think I think you are."

:lol: That's a great line!

Just posting a friendly reminder that discussion begins soon, though nobody should feel pressured to watch it -- you've got until the end of the month to join discussion.

Back