Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
rayw
Basic Member

"black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide"

Anyone else on top of this developing issue?
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/...-SOPA_blackout
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Very Interesting.

Thanks Ray!
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

I thought I read a headline that our overlords were backpedaling away from this stuff. Guess not.

Well, I'm definately on Wikipedia's side, if they're facing an existential (as they say nowadays) danger from all of this.

But as Sonnyboo for one, I think, has said: the internet has been a wild wild West. It's only a matter of time before they put the kabosh on it.

It certainly has been said that the internet has been an unprecedented vehicle and medium for the flowering of egalitarianism, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, the freeflow of information and knowledge.

I'm not a pessimist by nature, but definately a cynic. I agree that it is only a matter of time before the Plutocracy puts the squeeze on the internet.

Weyland-Yutani Corp. Welcome to the future. The future is Weyland-Yutani Corp.

Last edited by richy; 01-18-2012 at 01:50 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

This will really help spread the news
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Gonzo_Entertainment
Basic - Premiere Expired

And you have the competing imperative that people DO have a right to protection of their copyrighted material. No easy answers on this one.
Gonzo_Entertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
rayw
Basic Member

The issue seems to have a primary holdup with the methodology and process of "addressing" accused offenders rather than the principle of piracy itself.

An NPR contributor likened it this morning to making all cars illegal because some cares are used in bank robberies. And that this was a Hollywood problem they are trying to make an internet problem.

I'm all for shutting down piracy of any form, but I don't want to have anyone's site shut down solely on accusation alone.

I'm of the opinion that if studios want to protect their content they need to bear the financial responsibility of protecting it rather than foisting that expense onto the entire public, consumers and non-consumers alike.

Content providers have the right to protect themselves.
They do not have the right to make non-consumers pay for it.

There needs to be a better encryption service developed that cannot be video converted, the studio system needs to pay for and license it, and indie producers are also going to have to pay for licensing encryption protection or watch their unprotected content get stolen.

Wells Fargo/Brinks for film!
Pay to play.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
JoshL
Basic Member

I like that wikipedia is doing this. I love the fact that they try to stay out of political affairs, but this is one case where a demonstration (in the most literal sense) is applicable. I love that they are just shutting down the english site...let people in the US get a sense of what it's like living in a country with more restrictive speech and internet access.

I like this because it is not PROTESTING any particular bit of legislation. It is DEMONSTRATING what this sort of legislation has the potential to become.

Piracy should be stopped. However, power is a dangerous thing and shouldn't be granted without careful consideration.

Of course, because I laugh at everything, a wikipedia outage makes me think of the following exchange:
"You'll have a philosopher's strike on your hands!"
"And who will that inconvenience?"
"Never you mind, buster, it'll hurt..."
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Piracy should be stopped. However, power is a dangerous thing and shouldn't be granted without careful consideration.
With great power comes huge electricity bill.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
DeJager
Basic - Premiere Expired

I think Kid Rock said it the best... "Fuck... I've made millions of dollars off my fans.... steal my music, I don't care..."

Having said that; I don't believe in stealing and/or using copyrighted material and I most certainly dislike torrent sites, but SOPA needs to disappear.
DeJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

An attack on one is an attack on all.

The same cry babies crying about piracy should spend a few more dollars on getting their digital content better encrypted.

Also, they need better security with their own employees and employees of companies their postproductions are contracted out to who leak out distributor copies, retail DVDs before release, and rough cuts. I'd be interested if someone could find data on the percentage of leaks of big budget productions are inside jobs.

Not to get anyone in trouble, all that I'll say is I was visiting a very large production company with ties to cable TV networks the night a Will Smith movie opened in theaters to see people there replicating copies of the DVD version of that movie like crazy. And, I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC; 01-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

No one is saying that piracy is ok when being against SOPA. Only that SOPA is going abt eliminating piracy the wrong way. SOPA wont make it die and will only allow abuse against small companies, sites and individuals.

I started a thread abt this a while back. You can read more abt it here: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=36012
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
ItDonnedOnMe
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw View Post
There needs to be a better encryption service developed that cannot be video converted, the studio system needs to pay for and license it, and indie producers are also going to have to pay for licensing encryption protection or watch their unprotected content get stolen.
This is the real problem though - there is no such thing. There will be no such thing. There cannot be any such thing - it simply is not possible, end of story.

The studios know this now but they aren't yet ready to accept the realities of the emerging new marketplace, so they are attempting to use legislation to achieve what technology cannot. Their goal with this legislation is to put the burden of proof entirely on the accused, which means they would have free reign to shut down just about anyone they want simply because they have far more resources than those they would accuse.

This is not, ultimately, about 'piracy'. It's about propping up entrenched business models a little bit longer before their inevitable collapse in the face of a changing market and hundreds or thousands of upstart competitors.
ItDonnedOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

Google has taken a stand.

https://www.google.com/
Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

BBC World News had a nice segment on this tonight. I couldn't find a video of it to link to. But here's a complimentary article.

"Wikipedia joins blackout protest at US anti-piracy moves" --bbc.co.uk

It sounds like President Obama would veto these bills. But, what will President Santorum do?

Last edited by richy; 01-19-2012 at 12:17 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
An NPR contributor likened it this morning to making all cars illegal because some cares are used in bank robberies.
That argument doesn't hold up when we're talking about the most blatant of sites. Otherwise if 1% of PirateBay is legally shared material does that give them a free pass? Just sprinkle in a little bit of legal material and that makes you untouchable?
Quote:
No one is saying that piracy is ok when being against SOPA.
Actually there are a lot of people out there who want to keep the "looting party" going. And they feel very "entitled". They have this disillusion idea that the movie and record industry are making money hand over fist and therefore they have a right to download illegal torrents, and that illegal torrents are "promotion" that are a net GAIN for the industry. These people are like 911 conspiracy theorists. There's no getting through to them.

Last edited by Blade_Jones; 01-18-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote