HD or DV?

Hello everyone,

At the moment I'm in the stage of pre-production for my next film. Just to make things clear, I'm a student, and this is my major ultimate project before I graduate. Although my real wish would have been to use film, our budget is simply too limited. So now I've been able to get hold of a panasonic HVX200 DVCPRO HD/SD. To make it look more like film we are going to use a 35mm lens adaptor. It looks great. BUT I'm debating whether we should actually shoot in HD. The thing is, at first I didn't want to, because I was told that even if you shoot and edit in HD, once you put it onto a DVD disc, the quality becomes the same as a normal standard movie shoot in DV. But now aparently, I've discovered that this is not the case with my camera, because the camera will compress it more profesionally, and even if you put it into a DVD disc, you will STILL see a difference in quality and it will look great. I was told that since I have the camera that can encourage the look, I may aswell take advantage of its full potential.

I'm a little worried, not sure what to do now. My story is very visual, and it needs to look good!But another problem is that the entire shoot resides in a forest (ext), so this may cause complications. So I'm not sure whether I should stick with DV or go for HD?

Suggestions/Feedback very welcome.

Alejandra xox :)

....and by the way...

I have yet to shoot in 24p, I would like to start. Can anyone tell me how to change the settings on my edit system to handle 24p? Do I need more hard drive space? What should I be thinking about or looking for?

Or can anyone tell me where to start looking to find out all this stuff?

-- spinner :cool:

....well, maybe I don't have alot to do to make sure my FCP system will edit in 24p. But since I haven't done it yet, does anyone have any advice? I figure if I can't edit in HD, I could at least do 24p....???

-- spinner :cool:

Back