Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
rayw
Basic Member

I'm kind of disappointed that NPR is stating Wikipedia is protesting anti-piracy legislation, which isn't accurate.

They are protesting the way in which SOPA and PIPA are constructed, not anti-piracy itself.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
JoshL
Basic Member

Some interesting commentary from the MPAA:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...uts-as-stunts/
Quote:
MPAA chairman and CEO--and former U.S. Senator--Chris Dodd railed against the blackouts, calling them "an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [the sites] for information and [who] use their services."
So then, organization that is against people feeling they deserve free access to their property...complains when someone temporarily revokes free access to their property. Ah, hypocracy! But really, what else can they do to spin it?

The article links to a blog talking about using Google's cache to circumvent the wikipedia blackout. You can also still get to the mobile site: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/ It is important to note that these workarounds do NOT invalidate the demonstration. It is a direct demonstration of steps that people actually go through to access information in a more restricted net environment. And hopefully, points out the absurdity of information being restricted by people who do not understand how information is accessed and distributed.

Of course, I'm sure there will be lots of "LOL wiki FAIL" comments, but I think people saying that might be missing the point of the demonstration in the first place.

Urgh, rayw, NPR are usually better than that. I mean, that is the spin mass media is trying to put on this, and I'm sure exactly how Fox News, etc, are reporting it. One does like to think NPR is a LITTLE better than that. I share your disappointment.

Last edited by JoshL; 01-18-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: LOL NPR FAIL !!!11eleven!!1 OMGWTFBBQ!
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Anyone check vimeo today?

Vimeo is taking a stand.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

As I mentioned in the "Stand Against Online Censorship" thread, the big issue is that the way the bill(s) are worded everything is based upon accusations - all it takes is an accusation to shut down a website; and there is no appeal. That's akin to your neighbor accusing you of robbing a bank, so the police just throw you into jail with no investigation, no arrest warrant, no judicial hearing, no legal representation, no bail, and you rot in a cell until they finally get around to your case.

To me this is the crux of the whole issue, it flies in the face of the Constitution. There are many other aspects of the bill(s) that are exceedingly troubling, like the "Kill Switch" provision which allows the government to shut down the internet whenever it wishes; this is an obvious abrogation of Free Speech rights.

I'll leave the issue there. As the cliché says - "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Some interesting commentary from the MPAA:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...uts-as-stunts/
[quoteMPAA chairman and CEO--and former U.S. Senator--Chris Dodd railed against the blackouts, calling them "an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [the sites] for information and [who] use their services."
[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah. That's the whole point of a protest. To cause a disruption. lol

Plus I find it ironic that Chris Dodd is implying that he uses such reliably-factual sources as Wikipedia. Yeah right.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired

Well this is promising.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/...-online-piracy

On a side note, I absolutely love the new White House policy whereby anyone can post a petition and if it gets 25,000 signatures they will issue a statement. So far they have stood by that:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...o-evidence-yet
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
rayw
Basic Member

Hmm.... http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

OOOOOOOO!!!!
The "Sort by" function on the left-side column is useful!

Some trees to shake before the vote next week.

http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/pipa#roll_call
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/sopa#roll_call

Last edited by rayw; 01-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
As I mentioned in the "Stand Against Online Censorship" thread, the big issue is that the way the bill(s) are worded everything is based upon accusations - all it takes is an accusation to shut down a website; and there is no appeal. That's akin to your neighbor accusing you of robbing a bank, so the police just throw you into jail with no investigation, no arrest warrant, no judicial hearing, no legal representation, no bail, and you rot in a cell until they finally get around to your case.
So, in other words, let's throw due process out the window because Corporation X demands it, regardless of merit. And we already know that corporations have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to bullying the little guys.

Chilling Effects

Quote:
...like the "Kill Switch" provision which allows the government to shut down the internet whenever it wishes; this is an obvious abrogation of Free Speech rights.
On a side note, there's also a guy in the Ukraine who can do that.

I saw it on the PBS Newshour not long ago. Jeffrey Brown interviewed an author who said so. Hell if I can find it on the net now. I should have looked it up then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post

Um, yeah. That's the whole point of a protest. To cause a disruption. lol

Plus I find it ironic that Chris Dodd is implying that he uses such reliably-factual sources as Wikipedia. Yeah right.
Excellant points, Dready. If that's Dodd's position, then that's crap. But, I'd also like to send some love out to him because, from what I've heard, he was one who did want to implement somer serious financial reform, but the other fat cats blocked his efforts. Well, if that's true, he should get some love for that at least. But yeah, where is his head on this?

We all hear about Wikipedia's flaws. But is Viacom or Time Warner going to such lengths to provide everyone and anyone with the body of knowledge that Wikipedia has? I'm not hating on Viacom or Time Warner. True, that's not their mission. There mission is to make a profit for their shareholders or for whomever owns them. But from what I've heard, Wikipedia's "management" is serious about getting around to vetting the integrity of entries...sooner or later.

Last edited by richy; 01-19-2012 at 01:30 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
rayw
Basic Member

Well, ALLLLRIIIIIGHT!!!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

Dropped from 80/30-something supporters yesterday to...
64/108 supporters.

Kule beenze!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy View Post
On a side note, there's also a guy in the Ukraine who can do that.
There are plenty of smart people in the world, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that some could shut down the 'net if they chose.* But it would be an illegal act as it would cause harm to the personal and financial freedoms of billions of people. However, if the government shuts down the 'net it becomes a legally sanctioned act, and another one for which there is no legal recourse. No one will be prosecuted for denying you your human rights to free speech and unfettered access to resources. These are the types of things that are worded so carefully as "protections" that can so easily lead to despotism. Oh, by the way, since the 'net is so intertwined with cable TV and telephone communications much of that would be shut down as a side effect - something that hasn't really entered into the discussion.

*I have a friend with a very high security clearance; he works for a corporation with government contracts. He only talks about declassified stuff from 10 and 20 years ago, some of which scares the crap out of me. His current work is in cyberterrorism, and although he doesn't say much (he could go to jail for saying much of anything), he does look a lot more worried than he used to.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
DeJager
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
\

*I have a friend with a very high security clearance; he works for a corporation with government contracts. He only talks about declassified stuff from 10 and 20 years ago, some of which scares the crap out of me. His current work is in cyberterrorism, and although he doesn't say much (he could go to jail for saying much of anything), he does look a lot more worried than he used to.
It's crazy to think of all the stuff that is going on around us and we have no idea!! We are clueless most of the time! haha. Scary!
DeJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
There are plenty of smart people in the world, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that some could shut down the 'net if they chose.* But it would be an illegal act as it would cause harm to the personal and financial freedoms of billions of people. However, if the government shuts down the 'net it becomes a legally sanctioned act, and another one for which there is no legal recourse. No one will be prosecuted for denying you your human rights to free speech and unfettered access to resources. These are the types of things that are worded so carefully as "protections" that can so easily lead to despotism. Oh, by the way, since the 'net is so intertwined with cable TV and telephone communications much of that would be shut down as a side effect - something that hasn't really entered into the discussion.

Very sobering.

Yikes, I was mistaken. It wasn't Jeffrey Brown, but Margaret Warner, and she interviewed Mark Browden. I know that this, the guy in the Ukraine thing, is tangential at best. But just in case it's of interest to anyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYuMYTyuV8&feature=player_embedded
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer tweets: “You’ve been heard. [The Protect IP Act] has been pulled so we can find a better solution.”

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/sena...rotect-ip-act/
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

Thanks directorik! Best news ive heard in a while.

Of course it's not over but this is a good sign and step in creating something later down the road that will stop piracy without infringing on other rights.

Dont mind if i copy paste your quote in the my other thread.
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote