Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
rayw
Basic Member
 
rayw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: About a thousand years from now
Posts: 6,621
I'm kind of disappointed that NPR is stating Wikipedia is protesting anti-piracy legislation, which isn't accurate.

They are protesting the way in which SOPA and PIPA are constructed, not anti-piracy itself.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
JoshL
Basic Member
 
JoshL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,278
Some interesting commentary from the MPAA:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...uts-as-stunts/
Quote:
MPAA chairman and CEO--and former U.S. Senator--Chris Dodd railed against the blackouts, calling them "an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [the sites] for information and [who] use their services."
So then, organization that is against people feeling they deserve free access to their property...complains when someone temporarily revokes free access to their property. Ah, hypocracy! But really, what else can they do to spin it?

The article links to a blog talking about using Google's cache to circumvent the wikipedia blackout. You can also still get to the mobile site: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/ It is important to note that these workarounds do NOT invalidate the demonstration. It is a direct demonstration of steps that people actually go through to access information in a more restricted net environment. And hopefully, points out the absurdity of information being restricted by people who do not understand how information is accessed and distributed.

Of course, I'm sure there will be lots of "LOL wiki FAIL" comments, but I think people saying that might be missing the point of the demonstration in the first place.

Urgh, rayw, NPR are usually better than that. I mean, that is the spin mass media is trying to put on this, and I'm sure exactly how Fox News, etc, are reporting it. One does like to think NPR is a LITTLE better than that. I share your disappointment.

Last edited by JoshL; 01-18-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: LOL NPR FAIL !!!11eleven!!1 OMGWTFBBQ!
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member
 
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rego Park, NY
Posts: 4,490
Anyone check vimeo today?

Vimeo is taking a stand.
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Alcove Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 7,604
As I mentioned in the "Stand Against Online Censorship" thread, the big issue is that the way the bill(s) are worded everything is based upon accusations - all it takes is an accusation to shut down a website; and there is no appeal. That's akin to your neighbor accusing you of robbing a bank, so the police just throw you into jail with no investigation, no arrest warrant, no judicial hearing, no legal representation, no bail, and you rot in a cell until they finally get around to your case.

To me this is the crux of the whole issue, it flies in the face of the Constitution. There are many other aspects of the bill(s) that are exceedingly troubling, like the "Kill Switch" provision which allows the government to shut down the internet whenever it wishes; this is an obvious abrogation of Free Speech rights.

I'll leave the issue there. As the cliché says - "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Dreadylocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
Some interesting commentary from the MPAA:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...uts-as-stunts/
[quoteMPAA chairman and CEO--and former U.S. Senator--Chris Dodd railed against the blackouts, calling them "an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on [the sites] for information and [who] use their services."
[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah. That's the whole point of a protest. To cause a disruption. lol

Plus I find it ironic that Chris Dodd is implying that he uses such reliably-factual sources as Wikipedia. Yeah right.
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Dreadylocks
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Dreadylocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,652
Well this is promising.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/...-online-piracy

On a side note, I absolutely love the new White House policy whereby anyone can post a petition and if it gets 25,000 signatures they will issue a statement. So far they have stood by that:

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...o-evidence-yet
Dreadylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
rayw
Basic Member
 
rayw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: About a thousand years from now
Posts: 6,621
Hmm.... http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

OOOOOOOO!!!!
The "Sort by" function on the left-side column is useful!

Some trees to shake before the vote next week.


http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/pipa#roll_call
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/sopa#roll_call

Last edited by rayw; 01-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
richy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: u.s.a.
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
As I mentioned in the "Stand Against Online Censorship" thread, the big issue is that the way the bill(s) are worded everything is based upon accusations - all it takes is an accusation to shut down a website; and there is no appeal. That's akin to your neighbor accusing you of robbing a bank, so the police just throw you into jail with no investigation, no arrest warrant, no judicial hearing, no legal representation, no bail, and you rot in a cell until they finally get around to your case.
So, in other words, let's throw due process out the window because Corporation X demands it, regardless of merit. And we already know that corporations have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to bullying the little guys.

Chilling Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
...like the "Kill Switch" provision which allows the government to shut down the internet whenever it wishes; this is an obvious abrogation of Free Speech rights.
On a side note, there's also a guy in the Ukraine who can do that.

I saw it on the PBS Newshour not long ago. Jeffrey Brown interviewed an author who said so. Hell if I can find it on the net now. I should have looked it up then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadylocks View Post

Um, yeah. That's the whole point of a protest. To cause a disruption. lol

Plus I find it ironic that Chris Dodd is implying that he uses such reliably-factual sources as Wikipedia. Yeah right.
Excellant points, Dready. If that's Dodd's position, then that's crap. But, I'd also like to send some love out to him because, from what I've heard, he was one who did want to implement somer serious financial reform, but the other fat cats blocked his efforts. Well, if that's true, he should get some love for that at least. But yeah, where is his head on this?

We all hear about Wikipedia's flaws. But is Viacom or Time Warner going to such lengths to provide everyone and anyone with the body of knowledge that Wikipedia has? I'm not hating on Viacom or Time Warner. True, that's not their mission. There mission is to make a profit for their shareholders or for whomever owns them. But from what I've heard, Wikipedia's "management" is serious about getting around to vetting the integrity of entries...sooner or later.

Last edited by richy; 01-19-2012 at 01:30 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
rayw
Basic Member
 
rayw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: About a thousand years from now
Posts: 6,621
Well, ALLLLRIIIIIGHT!!!
http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

Dropped from 80/30-something supporters yesterday to...
64/108 supporters.

Kule beenze!
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Alcove Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy View Post
On a side note, there's also a guy in the Ukraine who can do that.
There are plenty of smart people in the world, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that some could shut down the 'net if they chose.* But it would be an illegal act as it would cause harm to the personal and financial freedoms of billions of people. However, if the government shuts down the 'net it becomes a legally sanctioned act, and another one for which there is no legal recourse. No one will be prosecuted for denying you your human rights to free speech and unfettered access to resources. These are the types of things that are worded so carefully as "protections" that can so easily lead to despotism. Oh, by the way, since the 'net is so intertwined with cable TV and telephone communications much of that would be shut down as a side effect - something that hasn't really entered into the discussion.



*I have a friend with a very high security clearance; he works for a corporation with government contracts. He only talks about declassified stuff from 10 and 20 years ago, some of which scares the crap out of me. His current work is in cyberterrorism, and although he doesn't say much (he could go to jail for saying much of anything), he does look a lot more worried than he used to.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
DeJager
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
DeJager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
\

*I have a friend with a very high security clearance; he works for a corporation with government contracts. He only talks about declassified stuff from 10 and 20 years ago, some of which scares the crap out of me. His current work is in cyberterrorism, and although he doesn't say much (he could go to jail for saying much of anything), he does look a lot more worried than he used to.
It's crazy to think of all the stuff that is going on around us and we have no idea!! We are clueless most of the time! haha. Scary!
DeJager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
richy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: u.s.a.
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
There are plenty of smart people in the world, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that some could shut down the 'net if they chose.* But it would be an illegal act as it would cause harm to the personal and financial freedoms of billions of people. However, if the government shuts down the 'net it becomes a legally sanctioned act, and another one for which there is no legal recourse. No one will be prosecuted for denying you your human rights to free speech and unfettered access to resources. These are the types of things that are worded so carefully as "protections" that can so easily lead to despotism. Oh, by the way, since the 'net is so intertwined with cable TV and telephone communications much of that would be shut down as a side effect - something that hasn't really entered into the discussion.



*I have a friend with a very high security clearance; he works for a corporation with government contracts. He only talks about declassified stuff from 10 and 20 years ago, some of which scares the crap out of me. His current work is in cyberterrorism, and although he doesn't say much (he could go to jail for saying much of anything), he does look a lot more worried than he used to.
Very sobering.

Yikes, I was mistaken. It wasn't Jeffrey Brown, but Margaret Warner, and she interviewed Mark Browden. I know that this, the guy in the Ukraine thing, is tangential at best. But just in case it's of interest to anyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOYuMYTyuV8&feature=player_embedded
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,523
New York Sen. Chuck Schumer tweets: “You’ve been heard. [The Protect IP Act] has been pulled so we can find a better solution.”

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/sena...rotect-ip-act/
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Ernest Worthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 4,396
Thanks directorik! Best news ive heard in a while.

Of course it's not over but this is a good sign and step in creating something later down the road that will stop piracy without infringing on other rights.

Dont mind if i copy paste your quote in the my other thread.
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk