Adding Lyrics to Precomposed Music

Hey you guys

So I'm writing a feature musical, and most of the songs I'm getting composed especially. However, there's this one track that I found online on AudioNetwork that I can buy the license to for the film. The song is an instrumental and I'm crazy in love with it, even so that I wrote lyrics to it and had a friend sing and record a demo version of what would be if the song was to be made using that track, and it works dramatically well, fitting the project like the slipper on cinderella.

My question is: being that I'm adding the lyrics myself to a precomposed piece of music, do you reckon it's a problem at all to do this, being that I've bought the right to use the music in my project anyway. I don't need to seek out special permissions or anything, do you think?

It makes sense to me for it to be perfectly alright to do this, but I wanted to see if it appealed to your guys's faculties just as well.

Thanks <3

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if this was one of those things where I could get by without asking for permissions, but I guess it's best to not walk the highline with something that could come back and bite me in the bottom. =)

It would specify your rights in the licensing agreement. Have you read the terms of your agreement from the licensing company (publisher)?

A lot of times these documents are very specific about the type of modifications you're allowed. Usually editing and sweetening are included, and adding lyrics might fall within the terms. Best bet is to email the licensing company and ask.

Hey you guys

So I'm writing a feature musical, and most of the songs I'm getting composed especially. However, there's this one track that I found online on AudioNetwork that I can buy the license to for the film. The song is an instrumental and I'm crazy in love with it, even so that I wrote lyrics to it and had a friend sing and record a demo version of what would be if the song was to be made using that track, and it works dramatically well, fitting the project like the slipper on cinderella.

My question is: being that I'm adding the lyrics myself to a precomposed piece of music, do you reckon it's a problem at all to do this, being that I've bought the right to use the music in my project anyway. I don't need to seek out special permissions or anything, do you think?

It makes sense to me for it to be perfectly alright to do this, but I wanted to see if it appealed to your guys's faculties just as well.

Thanks <3
It's all in the agreement. Licensing companies like FreshMusic.com do not allow you to add to a song (ex- vocals).

Back