Advice on Producing an Indie Film

I recently met someone who is shopping a script for production, written by a screenwriter who wrote a big hit a few years ago. They found investors for its 1 million dollar budget, but before it was time to shoot, the director started behaving badly and the investors backed out.

I have a wealthy friend who is looking to invest in an indie film. I believe in the script, and would like to put him in touch with the people who are trying to get the movie made (with a new director). I'm wanting to get more involved in movie making as well, so I would like to make some money off of this. However, I'm not sure how it all works.

Your hear time and time again, about people getting ripped off in the movie business. How seemingly profitable movies show a loss when its all said and done so the movie companies dont have to profit share. Since I have experience in movie marketing, I was going to see if I can be the one who does all of the print graphic and web design for this film, and get some money up front for it. That way if there aren't any profits, I still get paid.

I'm wondering if this would be legal, or if it would be considered conflict of interest. Or if there is another way to go about this someone could suggest? Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it all works.

I'd first suggest to go and read up on how producing works. The last thing you want to do is have the best intentions and ruin a good friendship by steering your wealthy friend the wrong way.

While you're at it, I'd also research film finance, film distribution and film marketing and publicity. They are all things you're going to have to know well to go down this route....

Or at least hire a producer who knows all this.

I was going to see if I can be the one who does all of the print graphic and web design for this film, and get some money up front for it. That way if there aren't any profits, I still get paid.

This is all fine, but it's very shallow minded. Trying to get a production going so you can get paid a rather insignificant piece of the pie. There's a huge downside for your friend and only a small upside for you. IT may be worth putting that into some perspective. Most movies lose money. Most film investors never see any of their investment back.

I'm wondering if this would be legal, or if it would be considered conflict of interest.

Conflict of interest is completely different. It's quite common in the investing world, people pitching investments where the person pitching is effectively pitching to get a job with an additional equity stake. In what you're proposing, I see a lot of holes and has a large chance to ruin a good friendship.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm not trying to get this going simply to make money, like I said in my post, I believe in the script and my friend wants to invest in films. That doesnt mean I'm going to recommend he invest yet, I've just begun researching to find out the viability of it all. I know its important to make sure everyone's expectations and desires are clearly understood by all and agreed upon. I've seen so much unnecessary trouble because the creative process wasn't communicated and managed properly. I have a lot of homework to do, starting with a Vachon book, thanks again for the advice everyone and pointing me in the right direction.

My 2 cents having been in similar positions (on much smaller scale). Assuming maintaining your friendship is your priority, I'd look at making sure your friend is presented with as thorough a budget/business plan/value proposition/distribution strategy as possible -- One which is completely honest about any and all risk factors. If things do go south, you'll be more likely to maintain the friendship if you guys have been on the same page about possible pit falls.

Good luck though! If things work out, that sounds like a pretty awesome potential opportunity :).

Back