Treating your cast/crew to tickets?

Hello filmmakers! Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

My low budget short film (first film I produced) was recently screened at it's first local festival. I told the cast and crew about it and asked them to let me know who wanted to come. Five of them replied that they'd love to come, and I gladly treated each of them to a ticket. The organizers had told me my film block was selling out, so I purchased the tickets in advance. The tickets were $10/each, and the fest provided two comps.

I was happy to treat my cast & crew to tickets, and I've worked on films in the past where the director treated me to a ticket to it's festival premiere.

As it turned out, two out of the five cast/crew members actually attended the screening. So, I basically purchased three tickets that did not get used. I'm just wondering, is there anything I could/should do differently in the future? Is it proper etiquette to treat your cast/crew to tickets?

I'm fine with the film fest getting the money this time around, but going forward I don't want it to get taken for granted that I'm purchasing tickets for people. What do all of you do in this regard?

You can do nothing differently. Plans change. You can't control that.

It was very nice of you to buy tickets. I think the only thing you can
do is accept that not everyone will be able to attend even if they say
they can.

You could get them a discounted ticket .. if they put in a little bit of their own money they'll be more likely to show. And if they were never serious about going they'll decline.

Thanks for the input everyone. I sort of thought that was proper etiquette (that the filmmaker treats the cast/crew to tickets to the premiere), but it was a bit hurtful to me that they'd just disregard the fact that I purchased tickets for them (one of them was really apologetic and offered to reimburse me, but the other 2 were just like "sorry I can't make it now" or "i'll try to make it"). Oh well! Live and learn!

Back