Sales Agents in the UK!!??

Have initiated contact with sales agency based in Pinewood Film Studios, called About films (www.aboutfilms.com) Has anyone heard of them? I applied for the 'Take the Initiative' they have £100,000 of financing and representation for the winning submission Feature or Doc. I have to say they were very efficient and seemed very reputable. They have agreed to meet me as they liked my submission. What should i expect from the first meeting as ive never met a sales agent before?

Go to the meeting and listen... answer their questions, be enthusiastic and passionate about your project.

Sales Agents are looking for projects they can make money from... so they are going to be looking at your project as an investment. Your only job is prepare and deliver your pitch.

A good pitch is a combination technique and enthusiasm.

Basically, be able to explain you project in simple terms... but in such a way it will be obvious that there will be an audience for the end product.

How you pitch depends pretty much on who you are talking to and what they are looking for... so, you need to do some research into what kinds of projects they've bought in the past... that should tell you what they feel comfortable in selling. Basically, if they have always sold direct to DVD Action movies in the $2M-$4M budget range and they like your project, it means they probably see it as a direct to DVD Action project.... if you go in and pitch as a $34M Art House film, then your pitch will probably crash and burn.

The other thing is, you don't have to be anything other than who you actually are... it's OK to ask questions and it's OK to not have all the answers.

I suggest you actually practice pitching your project to some friends before you do the meeting... you'll be amazed at how much better you'll be if you've had some prior attempt and have knocked off the rough edges.

Back