Arri Light Problem

I own an Arri kit with a 650W Fresnel which goes dark for no apparent rhyme or reason, in the middle of takes, and if you move the cable, it will sometimes come back on, or not.

Where should I look on the cable to troubleshoot this problem.

I see one of my bosses fix lights/cables almost daily, I could ask him for you?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/72020-REG/Arri_531600_650_Watt_Plus_Tungsten.html

Is that your light?

Also you're plugging the light's cable directly into your power source without a stinger, correct? Cause the problem you're describing having is very common in stingers' connections getting loose. If it's the same problem in the light's edison, it's a very easy fix, but I'll still asking him for a resource to send you too.

You could have a bad solder joint inside the light, or a loose wire in a switch or plug, or the plug is loose in the socket, etc.. there are any number of reasons this would occur, all of which have to do with a loose/bad connection somewhere between the power source and the bulb.

There is nothing terribly complex about the wiring of these lights, you could easily open it up and fix it yourself if the issue is inside. Step one is to determine where the disconnect is occurring.

I see one of my bosses fix lights/cables almost daily, I could ask him for you?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/72020-REG/Arri_531600_650_Watt_Plus_Tungsten.html

Is that your light?

Yep, that's the one.

Also you're plugging the light's cable directly into your power source without a stinger, correct? Cause the problem you're describing having is very common in stingers' connections getting loose. If it's the same problem in the light's edison, it's a very easy fix, but I'll still asking him for a resource to send you too.

No, they're plugged directly into the light socket when the problem has occurred. I have plugged them into stingers before, however, the problem didn't start until after the last time I had to do that. I'd hate to waste money replacing the plug only to find out the problem was at the switch, but I'd also hate to replace the switch when simply replacing the plug could fix the problem. Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

I'm imagining the problem may be in the plug or where the cable is hard wired to the light, however, it does have a switch.

You could have a bad solder joint inside the light, or a loose wire in a switch or plug, or the plug is loose in the socket, etc.. there are any number of reasons this would occur, all of which have to do with a loose/bad connection somewhere between the power source and the bulb.

There is nothing terribly complex about the wiring of these lights, you could easily open it up and fix it yourself if the issue is inside. Step one is to determine where the disconnect is occurring.

Yes, I agree that it's probably simple, but I'm worried about the troubleshooting. I'm not sure where to start looking, and how to determine where it is.

Yes, I agree that it's probably simple, but I'm worried about the troubleshooting. I'm not sure where to start looking, and how to determine where it is.

When I told my boss he was really quick in response without needing anymore information haha... He said it's most certainly one of the two major connectors have the wires loose. He said it's either inside the edison plug that one of the cords came loose or the start of the cord into the light has come loose.

The edison plugs coming loose is pretty common and easy to fix. If you've ever worked with speaker wiring you'll be able to fix it pretty easy. Take off the edison plug, notice which wire goes to which part of the plug. Then strip them each down a quarter inch, cut off the fiberwire around the wires, and insert the fresh wire section back into the edison. Done.

If that doesn't work then your problem is the start of the cord. You'll have to do the same thing here except you'll need to actually take the Arri's light casing off so you can get into the light socket section itself where the cord plugs in. Do the same thing with this end of the cord. (Yea you've lost an inch or so). This problem by the way is mainly only caused when the light isn't correctly strain relieved when you're using it.

You can try to do one of these two fixes, my boss is pretty sure it'll fix the problem. Or you can bring it to one of our many Central Florida lighting houses (Like Murphy Lighting) and for a fee they can fix the light for you. Downside is that they charge a lot, you'd be looking at least $100 to get it fixed, however if it breaks again in the future you can be like "Hey so you fixed this, and it wasn't fixed. Try again?"

Hope this helps.

When I told my boss he was really quick in response without needing anymore information haha... He said it's most certainly one of the two major connectors have the wires loose. He said it's either inside the edison plug that one of the cords came loose or the start of the cord into the light has come loose.

The edison plugs coming loose is pretty common and easy to fix. If you've ever worked with speaker wiring you'll be able to fix it pretty easy. Take off the edison plug, notice which wire goes to which part of the plug. Then strip them each down a quarter inch, cut off the fiberwire around the wires, and insert the fresh wire section back into the edison. Done.

If that doesn't work then your problem is the start of the cord. You'll have to do the same thing here except you'll need to actually take the Arri's light casing off so you can get into the light socket section itself where the cord plugs in. Do the same thing with this end of the cord. (Yea you've lost an inch or so). This problem by the way is mainly only caused when the light isn't correctly strain relieved when you're using it.

You can try to do one of these two fixes, my boss is pretty sure it'll fix the problem. Or you can bring it to one of our many Central Florida lighting houses (Like Murphy Lighting) and for a fee they can fix the light for you. Downside is that they charge a lot, you'd be looking at least $100 to get it fixed, however if it breaks again in the future you can be like "Hey so you fixed this, and it wasn't fixed. Try again?"

Hope this helps.

Yes,this is great. Thx.

Back