Independent Filmmaker Newbie

Greetings all,

I currently live in Maryland. As of recent, I have this overwhelming desire to make an independent film. I have been an educator for the last 12 years. I have a Masters of Arts in Literature. I used to write a lot, before having three children. However, I am now being lead, I believe by God, to create a film based on faith, relationship, and purpose. Any suggestions on how to gain experience, join local DMV film projects, or get started will be greatly appreciated.

I am also entering the 48hour film project here in DC. I figure it will give me experience, help me to gather a team, and challenge myself while jumping head first into filmmaking. If anyone has entered that competition, would like to join my team, or has general information about the competition, that is welcomed as well.

welcome-1.gif

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

The 48 hour project is a perfect place to start, because you will be able to observe the other filmmakers on your team, ask them questions, and quickly see the end result. Have fun.

Back